Buffalo Closed End

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bonsaibill

bonsaibill

I love this stuff. I found two full horns for five bucks total.

Attachments

• buffalo 004.jpg
    buffalo 004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bonsaibill

It is water buffalo from the phillipines (was scratched on the side along with a village scene). They are hollow for 1/3 to 1/2 of the total length. The hollow part is thick walled enough for accents and the end is big enough for maybe 3-4 pens on each horn.

Skye

Careful if you decide to sell it. A lot of people, Rifleman in particular, won't touch the stuff anymore. It'll crack on you in time if you're like many turners.

bonsaibill

Hey Skye-----you jinxed my pen man! I went back and looked at it and guess what? It is cracked!

Skye

Daaaaaang it. Unfortunately, that's real common with the things. Hey, at least it cracked on you and not a customer.

You can experiment with things like slightly overdrilling it and using Gorilla Glue as it allows the swelling and shrinking a little better than a tight drilling with CA. You can also dismantle it and fill the crack in with black powder, you can probably find something at the local craft store.

Snorton20

Deer antler is pretty darn smelly. I got some a little bit ago and just cutting down to size made me gag. Still kind of hesitating on making a pen with it. But, soon I will get some courage and a really good window fan and turn it into a beautiful writing instrument.

Skye

It won't smell any better when you drill it or turn it. Once it's MM'd, you'd be suprised how nice it looks. It's darn popular for a reason.

Top Bottom