What do you think of the pen?

• Like It

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Don't Like It

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Russell Eaton

This is my first posting of one of the pens that I have made. I used my carving knife to dig out the knots and inserted crushed turquoise. I have been turning pens for 9 months. Please let me know what you think. -Russell

Attachments

• Buckeye Burl with Turquoise Inlay.jpg
    Buckeye Burl with Turquoise Inlay.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 538
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
My personal preference would be to leave the knots alone. They contribute to the overall character of a pen made from burl. Inlays are best used (IMHO) for gaps and voids that are inherent in the wood.

From what I can see in the picture (a little blurry) the workmanship is great!

bitshird

I kind of agree with mike, I like the pen a little bit,(not real crazy about the filling of the knots) but please turn off your flash next time, and just post the pen in the "show off your pen" forum, no need for a poll, you'll get plenty of constructive critiques in there

JohnU

I like it and think you did a real nice job, but I agree with leaving the knots and eyes as they are. I like the inlay and think it looks good with the wood but I would have kept it for cracks or worm holes. With that said, everyone has an opinion and when it comes to the general public and buyers, you cant ever tell and it just might be enough to grab someones attention.

jleiwig

To me you have to kind of match things. I wouldn't use buckeye with turquoise. Maybe mesquite or something southwestern, but not a wood from california.

Additionally I think that the turquoise overpowers lighter woods like buckeye. Don't stop thinking creatively though. And all that matters is that you like it or that it sells for you.

Russell Eaton

I made five slimlines and sold them for 35$ each. That is a poor picture, I had a hard time getting it to upload. It is the fist try. The other slimilne got stolen by the wife, Ha Ha.

mickr

I think it was creative..but pic is so blurry on my monitor it's hard to see..keep at it, and enjoy

thewishman

Nice work. Filling with a darker material is my preference - have tried lots of other types of materials, including turquoise, trying different materials is fun. Buckeye burl certainly provides plenty of opportunity to fill voids.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Well I guess I am a little late here, but I also saw this one at the Southeast meeting, and man it looked fantastic in person. The filled voids were nicely done, and the finish on the pen was excellent. It turned out great!

CaptG

Very nice looking pen. The turquoise is subtle and adds nicely to the pen. My bet is it will sell to a lady because of the turquoise and they usually go with what looks nice overall. They are not concerned with what kind of wood and where did the knots go. It looks good and it has TURQUOISE in it. That is good marketing strategy.

Top Bottom