Buckeye burl Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greenmtnguy

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
A stabilized blank I got in a trade. Finished with 10 coats of thin CA and wet Micromeshed.

1_Buckeye_Statesman.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I had the same reaction, but hesitated to say it because everyone has their own way of doing a CA finish. 3 coats of medium goes on faster and does the same thing as 10-12 coats of thin, but Alton obviously has a system that works well for him. Most of the time, I couldn't even tell you how many coats I use -- I just keep doing it until it's right.

Great looking pen.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Usually 8 is plenty, but for some reason I kept ending up with small dimples. I redid it twice with the same effect. I keep changing the way I finish, looking for the fastest way to get the finish I want. Probably will go to medium or thick shortly.

jkeithrussell

Usually 8 is plenty, but for some reason I kept ending up with small dimples. I redid it twice with the same effect. I keep changing the way I finish, looking for the fastest way to get the finish I want. Probably will go to medium or thick shortly.

I screwed up my CA process badly by trying to do what other people told me to do, so proceed with caution. I finally got a system that worked most of the time. Recently, I was privileged to see a demonstration by Curtis at his cool shop that has really transformed the whole CA finish for me. I'm still mastering it, but it works infinitely better than anything I had tried before. I'm sure he'll talk you through it if you send him a PM, or I'll try to describe it for you. But, what you have posted really looks good and I wouldn't want to be responsible for getting you screwed up on it.

Rick_G

A great looking pen and a great finish as well. My take on the CA finish is you try different ways until you find one that works for you then stick with it until it stops working. You have obviously found a method that works for you.

Top Bottom