Buckeye Burl Majestic Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeSquare

BeSquare

This is the first "high end kit" that I've put together. It was a commission for a Christmas present for a co-worker. The barrels are slightly underturned but that was by request of the customer. The blank was just a joy to work with, it was a blank I got from Issac here on the site (he has wonderful burls and other woods, just gorgeous) and it was the first blank I have stabilized myself with cactus juice. The finish on it is 16 coats of thin CA and then buffed with triploi and white diamond. I'm super happy with how this one turned out and it's already let to 3 other orders. Gotta love that.

C&C welcome!

- Rich

Attachments

• pen_in_box.jpg
    pen_in_box.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 204
  • pen_opened.jpg
    pen_opened.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 232
  • pen_cap_on.jpg
    pen_cap_on.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Nice looking pen, Rich. Doing a Majestic is definitely on my list. Can I ask a couple questions: What is the reasoning behind intentionally under-turning the finished barrels? Did you sand or mm before buffing?

Bill

BeSquare

Nice looking pen, Rich. Doing a Majestic is definitely on my list. Can I ask a couple questions: What is the reasoning behind intentionally under-turning the finished barrels? Did you sand or mm before buffing?

Bill

The customer liked the feel of the wood ending into the hardware, having a physical junction between the two, and since the hardware is slightly rounded on the Majestic it worked fine. I sanded it with abranet 150-500 and then did the first 5 pads of mm before I bufffed it.

- Rich

Top Bottom