Buckeye Burl On Gent Jr!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is a piece of stabilized buckeye burl on Gentlemen Jr. It's got 25 coats of medium CA. I did not feel like making a pen today but I went anyway. To put all the chances on my side I haven't changed my mandrel, my sanding MM and took a fresh medium CA glue the result was worth the effort! :)

Thanks for looking and clicky the thumbnails!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reiddog1

Beautiful as always Charles. BEB is my all time favorite burl (although you have enlightened me on many other bada** ones). One question if I may, how do you photograph to show your finish? I've tried, but my photos always look matte. Trying to show off my shine. You are still my CA finish hero.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Charles, do you actually count the coats of CA and then sand till it gets that perfect mirror finish or do you sand between coats?.
I have no idea how many coats I put on. :redface:I just keep applying till the finish looks ok between coats. Mmmmm, maybe that's why mine doesn't look like yours!!:biggrin:

Lenny

Charles, I always love seeing your posts .... as much for the stunning photography as the pens themselves! Excellent!

Jim Burr

Banned
That is some great BEB...and a cool pen to add to it! I know how you feel...had to make 2 and my heart wasn't in either of 'em.

Last edited:

scottsheapens

How do you get such a perfect CA coat? I have tried CA coating of pens and it looks bad every single time. I also agree your pictures really show the BEB and CA very well. Congrats.

CharlesH

Charles, do you actually count the coats of CA and then sand till it gets that perfect mirror finish or do you sand between coats?.
I have no idea how many coats I put on. :redface:I just keep applying till the finish looks ok between coats. Mmmmm, maybe that's why mine doesn't look like yours!!:biggrin:

I make marks on my nitrile glove box after each coat. I usually sand every 5 to 7 coats with the 3000 grit! :)

Charles

CharlesH

thewishman

Charles, you have set such a high standard that I expect to see stunning wood with a flawless finish.

Looking at this pen, I have to say - Meh, just your average perfect pen.:clown:

PenMan1

Charles, you finish makes wood look sexy.

I used to "notch" the glove box with the coat count, too! Now, that I'm older and in worse shape, it's easier just to count the torn off 2x2" squares of paper towel laying on the floor:)

NICELY DONE, SIR!

GoatRider

I used to "notch" the glove box with the coat count, too! Now, that I'm older and in worse shape, it's easier just to count the torn off 2x2" squares of paper towel laying on the floor:)

Don't you mean "glued to the floor"? That's what always happens to me. That's why I keep a wastebasket between me and the lathe.

Top Bottom