Buckeye Burl Dyed from NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

OK here is another that I just finished. It is triple dyed but mostly the Green and Blue seemed to have taken. There are a few hints of red but only a few! The hardware set is Black Titanium Jr. Gen 2

il_570xN.386799253_qpm3.jpg

il_570xN.386799786_59gj.jpg

Comments and critics welcome! Cannot learn without critics!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK here is another that I just finished. It is triple dyed but mostly the Green and Blue seemed to have taken. There are a few hints of red but only a few! The hardware set is Black Titanium Jr. Gen 2
Comments and critics welcome! Cannot learn without critics!
How about replacing the finial with a matching piece of the blank. Instructions in the library!

SteveG

The results of your dyeing look great, and is something I want to try. That raises a few questions. I expect that the dyeing done in multiple steps, but do you stabilize also? If that is the case, what would be the sequence. My guess is to use a vacuum chamber:
Step 1. Dye with color A using vacuum
Step 2. Dye with color B using vacuum
Step 3. Dye and stabilize with color C plus stabilizing resin using vacuum

My assumption (without the benefit of experience) is that if you stabilize in the first step, there will be little or no absorption of subsequent colors. Am I on the right track here? Amy suggestions on this are appreciated.
Steve

plantman

:):) Mike: If you look closely, it looks like a robin is sitting on the bottom of the pen. Great work !! Jim S

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Those are amazing Mike!! Yeah...the red isn't showing up, but IMHO...these are bomb!! +1 for the finial.

The results of your dyeing look great, and is something I want to try. That raises a few questions. I expect that the dyeing done in multiple steps, but do you stabilize also? If that is the case, what would be the sequence. My guess is to use a vacuum chamber:
Step 1. Dye with color A using vacuum
Step 2. Dye with color B using vacuum
Step 3. Dye and stabilize with color C plus stabilizing resin using vacuum

My assumption (without the benefit of experience) is that if you stabilize in the first step, there will be little or no absorption of subsequent colors. Am I on the right track here? Amy suggestions on this are appreciated.
Steve

There are several ways to get the effects that I get. You can use the vacuum chamber for each step or you can soak in the same Cactus Juice over night then bake but you have to bake between soakings. I think it may depend on the type of wood you are doing how well things work, I am still experimenting with it!

I am getting ready to bake some that I have done in a very different way and see what kind of new effects I can get! We will all have to wait for that one!

Top Bottom