Buckeye Burl cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from punkinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

I love the character of this wood. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. :)

S2IS1463a.jpg

Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

i think buckeye burl is one of the best burls.
i found that buckeye burl is hard to turn.
i ruined 4 blanks before i figured out how to turn it.
your pen looks great. i turned a cigar pen with buckeye burl used platinum hardware instead.
forgot to get a picture before i sold it.

punkinn

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />i think buckeye burl is one of the best burls.
i found that buckeye burl is hard to turn.
i ruined 4 blanks before i figured out how to turn it.
your pen looks great. i turned a cigar pen with buckeye burl used platinum hardware instead.
forgot to get a picture before i sold it.

I ruined a buckeye blank today too. [:(] But this one sure made up for it! [:)]

Nancy

Great Looking Pen!

I have found that Buckeye is some what brittle even stabilized. I employee thin CA as I turn it down if I feel it might need it, and a frequently honed skew help a lot.

Again, Great looking pen

punkinn

Originally posted by denphillips2
<br />Looks VERY nice!!!
What did you use to finish it? I like that it is more a satin finish to match the satin nickel.

Finish was conventional sandpaper to 1500, friction polish, MicroMesh to 12,000, Hut Crystal Coat, then several coats of Liberon wax (the stick). It sounds long, but I like this part of the process the most and it only takes about 10 minutes to finish.

Nancy

punkinn

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Nancy,
Nice looking pen. I have never tried that burl, but hope to some day. Guess I'll be giving Dario an e-mail.
Rob

Hey Rob, It's very brittle and from what I've seen already, even the "stabilized" ones are filled with voids (what a pain in the...) I ruined one blank before finishing this one off to my satisfaction.

Happy New Year!
Nancy

Dario

With light cuts buckeye actually turn very easy. One thing I always do is soak it with thin CA as stabilizer before the final cut and I always use CA as sealer and finish on it.

One trick I do is fill the voids with reddish wood dust (I almost always use amboyna dust now) It creates an interesting color combination. I do this before the final cut so I won't have any bleeding to the adjoining parts.

That is a wild grained buckeye...good job!!!

Ron Mc

Nancy...Very nice pen.

Jim gave some great advise in his post. There is really no reason to have a blow out with Buckeye Burl. Just keep your CA on hand and feel the blank as you turn it. If you feel a lite bump or something out of the ordinary turn the lathe off, put a few drops of glue in the hole, press some of your shavings into the glue, spray with accelerate, wait about 45 seconds and proceed.
Buckeye is one of my absolute favorite woods but it requires some special loving when you turn it.

punkinn

One trick I do is fill the voids with reddish wood dust (I almost always use amboyna dust now) It creates an interesting color combination. I do this before the final cut so I won't have any bleeding to the adjoining parts.

That is a wild grained buckeye...good job!!!

Thank you! Do you have any photos of buckeye with the amboyna dust in the voids? I'd like to see the contrast, I bet it's great.

Nancy

Dario

Nancy,

I'll see if I can find any pictures at home. It's been a while since I took a pic of any buckeye pen that I made and not sure if I still have any on file. I should have...just made 13 of them before Christmas break.

leatherjunkie

one problem i found with buckeye burl is sometimes there will be a knot in the blank that will pop out on you. i only had this happen once. and with my luck it had to pop out right when i was ready to start sanding it. lucky for me it happend at the edge of the blank where you would put the center band in. i was able to part that area and use a "oops band" to fix it.
i used af. blackwood about 1/4". the pen was a cigar pen.
went to work with it and was not allowed to leave work with the pen.

sometimes the little mistakes we make on the pens make em better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom