Buckeye Burl and Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dick Mahany

Dick Mahany

Here's a Jr Gentelmen's II RB with blue-green pearlized Alumilite. I learned to bake the burl to get rid of moisture as the first attempt foamed like crazy. Not a fun experience, but I'm a little smarter now :redface:.

Attachments

• IMGP5760.jpg
    IMGP5760.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

How much moisture were you dealing with?
How long did you need to put the blanks in the oven for to bring your moisture within 'specs'?

Turned out nice....just the right amount of resin-to-wood(JMHO)

Scott (cool coloring too) B

Dick Mahany

How much moisture were you dealing with?
How long did you need to put the blanks in the oven for to bring your moisture within 'specs'?

I don't have a moisture meter but the burl has been in my shop for several years unsealed. I wound up putting the pieces in a toaster oven for 1 hour at 150 F and had success.

(On the pieces that originally foamed, there were tons of tiny bubbles wherever the alumalite contacted the wood, even when cast under pressure at 45 PSI.)

Fishinbo

Wow! It turned out really fantastic, great combo of the pearlized Alumilite and the burl. Great job!

seamus7227

Im impressed from this end! Nice work, and to think there would be any moisture left in that wood after sitting that long, I sure wouldnt have thought it.

SteveG

An example of ambient humidity and its effect on wood and moisture content: I live in Hawaii, and most days the relative humidity is about 45-50% much of the day. A little higher in the cooler morning. Koa is a tropical hardwood, similiar to walnut in density and hardness. Koa will settle out to about 12% equilibrium moisture content. So if it takes a year or two to dry from green to fully air dry, the equilibrium moisture content will no longer change after that (stays at 12%), unless the wood is moved to a different environment.
Steve

Top Bottom