BUCKEYE BURL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OSCAR15

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR15

This weekend, I turned a few... This is a Buckeye burl blank, on a black titanium polaris. The pen turned out fine, but I do not like the "feel" of the stabilized material. Feels more like plastic than wood. OSCAR

2006327123243_buckeyeburl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Oscar,
Every time I see a buckeye burl pen I like it more and more. I only use the stabilized buckeye burl blanks because this wood can be so darn "punky".
Very nicely done!

alamocdc

I sell quite a few Buckeye burl pens here. Fine job on this one. Yes, the stabilized blanks have a different feel... but then so does a pen with a CA finish and I do occassionally use it.

Dario

Nice pen!

IMHO, buckeye should be stabilized either before or after turning. It is way too soft not to and CA is the only choice I think that will work after. A small price to pay for such a unique wood [:)].

Great looking pen....

Buck eye is a wonderful wood to turn, stabilized.......other wise I would not bother...they sell fast too, I like the look on this kit, never considered it before, well done!!

[;)]

SteveRoberts

<b>With buckeye it you might want to get used to stabilized, otherwise it will feel like holding a lot of tiny pieces of wood.</b>

Originally posted by OSCAR15
<br />
This weekend, I turned a few... This is a Buckeye burl blank, on a black titanium polaris. The pen turned out fine, but I do not like the "feel" of the stabilized material. Feels more like plastic than wood. OSCAR

2006327123243_buckeyeburl.jpg

OSCAR15

UK PENMAKER...
It is an unusual wood....It must be "stabilized" or it will come apart on the lathe. I usually avoid stabilized woods, as I do not like the feel of the resins added, but for this one, I made an exception.
Most of my pens have just a shellac based friction polish. I know a lot of penmakers swear by CA but I'd rather re-finish than to have it feel like plastic. When the finish dulls on fine antiques, it is desirable, and called a "patina". Many penmakers however, want to turn fine wood into something that feels like plastic. I do not understand this. If I wanted it to feel like plastic, I would turn acrylics rather than wood...OSCAR

2006328143016_thumbup.gif

airrat

Oscar its not the penturnes that want the feel of plastic. It is what people want to buy. I can turn 10 shellac polish and 10 CA of the exact same pens. More of the CA will sell then the shellac. People like stuff with shine.

OSCAR15

Tom: You are probably right. If the purchaser had enough knowlege of wood and its properties, they would turn their own rather than buy them. Still, as a woodworker first, and penmaker second, it KILLS me to have to slop glue over a piece of fine wood! I build my furniture without screws or nails, just joinery and glue. It never ceases to amaze me that our society prizes artificial things over natural. OSCAR

2006328153110_butthead.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom