Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bjackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjackman

Did I mention I'm having more fun every day with my Beall?? [8D]

DCE: Double Closed end
RC: Recessed Clip

The EG kit is my favorite to recess clips on, and a good one for someone who wants to give it a shot to cut their teeth on.

6111923658_El%20Grande%20Buckeye%20Burl%20DCE%20RC.jpg

727_El%20Grande%20Buckeye%20Burl%20DCE%20RC%20clip.jpg

Sorry for the mediocre photos, the best I could do today freehand. Larger ones in my album.
Comments and critiques always welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Daaaaaaaaaaa*inhale*aaaaaaang that's nice! Love the macro of the clip, hate it when people try to hide the best part of the pen.

I see one or two nits, but the pen is nice enough that I dont want to mention them. [:I]

bjackman

Tommy,
That is crushed turquoise in the inclusion. Buckeye burl tends to have lots of them, and I like that.
In this case the hole went right through to the tube so I opened it up a little with an exacto blade, leaving the sides of the hole a little taller with straight walls. Then I color the tube with a sharpie as a background color and mount the blank on the lathe with the inclusion/hole facing up. Very carefully spread the crushed stone in the hole in an even layer, (if this layer goes above the level of the turned blank you will probably need somthing harder than HSS to turn the stone down, or dig it out and try again.) The stone is then sealed in place with CA. I start out with just enough thin ca to form a "sag" on the bottom side of a toothpick and touch it to the stone layer to wick into it. When this first layer of CA is dry I build up additional layers using medium CA until it's above level/proud of the turned blank. Once fully hardened you can sand or carefully turn off the excess. Some try to avoid using accelerator. If it foams the CA it's time to dig the whole thing out and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom