BSea custom mix alumilite fountain pen and ink bottle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JayC

JayC

This is my first post. This is my fifth or sixth pen, but I've never made a kit pen. The pen world is still a bit new to me. I was told there might be a few people here that would like to see my last project. My wife is a pink fanatic and requested a pink and gold pen. Nobody seemed to offer a color combo like that. I heard Bob (BSea) would do custom mixes so I gave him a call. He made the block and she fell in love with it. I'm limited in what I can do with pens for now. It's just a straight barreled, clipless pen that will not post. The nib is a Franklin Christoph 1.5 stub. Currently inked with Diamine Hope Pink. To take things a bit further, I made an ink bottle for her desk to match the pen. It's clear acrylic with a cap made from the same material as the pen. Bob really did a great job on the alumilite. I look forward to making more pen/bottle combos.

Attachments

• image-3846347628.jpg
    image-3846347628.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 360
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

JayC, you appear to be quite capable. Welcome to IAP. These are very nice items, showing well developed level skills. Few of us here would even dream of making the pen you show here, having just a few pens under our belt. How did you learn to make this kitless pen? Great design and workmanship!

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Jay !!!!

That is a lovely pen !!! . What thread sizes did you use for cap to body and section to body please ?

Last edited:

JayC

Thanks for the compliments!

Steve, I guess I learned by being a part of what I call the "YouTube generation". You can learn so much, so quickly these days from YouTube, forums, Facebook and countless other sources on the web.

Magpens, the threads are lathe cut. 32tpi on this one for the section and the cap. The nib unit was with a tap of course, to fit a #6 Jowo unit. I tried in vain to use taps and dies for the section and cap, but it just didn't work for me.

Here's a better pic to show some detail.

Attachments

• image-460399343.jpg
    image-460399343.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 125

magpens

Magpens, the threads are lathe cut. 32tpi on this one for the section and the cap. The nib unit was with a tap of course, to fit a #6 Jowo unit. I tried in vain to use taps and dies for the section and cap, but it just didn't work for me.

Thanks, Jay ...

Do you know what tap size the #6 Jowo requires ?

What is the outside diameter of the 32tpi threads on the body ?

Done on a lathe so I would assume the threads are single start, rather than double or triple start.

THANK YOU for your replies Jay !!!! ..... 29/64" = 11.5 mm or maybe up to 12 mm .... that is a nice size; not too big.

Last edited:

JayC

Thanks, Jay ... Do you know what tap size the #6 Jowo requires ? What is the outside diameter of the 32tpi threads on the body ? Done on a lathe so I would assume the threads are single start, rather than double or triple start.

The tap for a Jowo #6 is metric 7.4x.5. I can't remember what the OD of the body threads are. But, I remember I had to use a 29/64 drill for the cap and opened it another few thousandths beyond that. That's another reason I like to lathe cut threads, you aren't limited to certain diameters. Yes they are single start. But, I limited the threads to give the cap two turns to remove. It might not be as robust that way, but we are careful with our pens.

Top Bottom