Brrrrrr it sure it cold in the shop !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joeyh

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyh

Ok, it’s been below 10 degrees here in N. Illinois. I would like to heat my shop. I'm wondering if I can use any type of heat that I would like, or should I be concerned about fumes (CA, Lacquer, Lacquer thinner, etc.)
I tried to talk my wife into letting me turn in the bedroom.:D She just smiled at me, and shook her head.:(

Thanks for the input.
Michael

Fred in NC

Michael, some kinds of heat require ventilation, like kerosene, propane, etc. unless the heater is vented. These also produce water vapor that settles on your tools and can rust them. If there is a lot of sanding dust you also need to be careful, airborne wood dust is explosive.

About turning in the bedroom, I don't see what is the big issue. I turn in bed all the time.

Daniel

Michael.
As fred points out wood dust itself is explosive. having said that and also keep in mind that I'm the fella withthe Kahonas, I use an electric heater in my shop. I do pay attention to not letting sawdust get to it in a resonable manner. "Don't put it directly under the lathe". and don't consider it as much of a risk as cutting with my table saw. drilling blanks on my drill press. or mnay other things I do in my shop.
Kerosene heaters create fumes but In my opinion the average garage is ventelated enough for them to be safe. if not just crack the bottom of the door a 1/2 inch or so. I used two of them in my home for several years with no problems other than smell. storing the kerosene is more risky in my opinion.and I do not like the idea of an open flame in the shop. there are electric heaters that are more like rediators as well. no direct access to the heat element. they have oil in them that is heated and the surface does not get hot enough to start fires. this is my top recommendation. you could put this right at your feet while working. not sure how to help you with cold materials to handel, tools that freeze to your hand and what not. unless you can afford to keep the heater running 24-7. my long term answer is that my new shop will be a room added to the house. heated and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom