Brown Mallee Burl Gent!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

I found this Beautiful peice of Brown Mallee burl laying around and thought to myself, that would look really nice on that extra titanium gold gent I have.

This was finished with mm up to 12000 then 4 coats ca/special mix, completed with 4 buffings of ren wax.

I have to say, as of now, brown mallee is my favorite wood to work with.

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Attachments

• Brown Malle 003.jpg
    Brown Malle 003.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Brown Malle 004.jpg
    Brown Malle 004.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Brown Malle 008.jpg
    Brown Malle 008.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Brown Malle 009.jpg
    Brown Malle 009.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Brown Malle 013.jpg
    Brown Malle 013.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

Thats funny you should say that because that is actually why I like it so much, because the ca finish was easier on this than other pens I have made.

jkeithrussell

Thats funny you should say that because that is actually why I like it so much, because the ca finish was easier on this than other pens I have made.

That is weird. I read about people having trouble with CA on Cocobolo and rosewoods -- but I have had no trouble with them. On the other hand, red/brown mallee and manzanita give me fits.

Munsterlander

I love red and brown mallee too - Australia sure has some cool wood. I just can't get the stuff to dry out. Before I got a moisture meter I had at least 3 pens made from brown, effusa, or red mallee that developed cracks in the wood/finish. Went back and checked the moisture for blanks in the same batch and they were still anywhere from 12-20%. Months later they're still not dry. Just got some really nice vasticola and dialium chochin, but same thing. May have to try that microwave trick here soon.

Anyway, very nice pen!

keithkarl2007

I love red and brown mallee too - Australia sure has some cool wood. I just can't get the stuff to dry out. Before I got a moisture meter I had at least 3 pens made from brown, effusa, or red mallee that developed cracks in the wood/finish. Went back and checked the moisture for blanks in the same batch and they were still anywhere from 12-20%. Months later they're still not dry. Just got some really nice vasticola and dialium chochin, but same thing. May have to try that microwave trick here soon.

Anyway, very nice pen!

Tell me, is Horistes Mallee different from red and brown mallee, i love australian burls also. Been drooling over Leevalleywoods website yesterday and some other site, can't remember the name. Just going green with envy thinking about them

USAFVET98

For some reason, I find it much easier to apply a CA finish to burls. I see a lot of people have more problems with burls. This Mallee is really nice to work with. Im curious about the horistes mallee as well. What other wood specie compare to this stuff?

Munsterlander

Tell me, is Horistes Mallee different from red and brown mallee, i love australian burls also. Been drooling over Leevalleywoods website yesterday and some other site, can't remember the name. Just going green with envy thinking about them

Hoping someone from Australia can help us out on this one, I've often wondered the same thing. Batch of Vasticola I got recently looks a lot like Red Mallee, and the Effusa Mallee looks a lot like Brown Mallee...

Top Bottom