Brother In Law's first try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrin1200

darrin1200

My brother in law is down for the weekend. He thought my pens were incredible and thought he would like to try it.
I gave him a demo, then let him choose a wood and a kit. It took a while to make, slow and cautious.

He chose
Green stabilized box elder burl
dressed in a Sterling Silver Baron.
sanded to 600
MM to 12K
7 coats CA/BLO
wet MM to 12K
3 more coats CA/BLO
Plastic polish twice.

I couldn't believe this was his first time on a lathe. I think we will have a new addict. Just have to get him his own lathe.

Comments Welcome

Darrin posted for Danny

Attachments

• HPIM0767 (640x477).jpg
    HPIM0767 (640x477).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 281
  • HPIM0768 (640x477).jpg
    HPIM0768 (640x477).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Ya, he's in. Great looking pen. Tell him Welcome aboard! My first pen didn't even come close to that, come to think of it neither did the last one I made! My first pen was, of coarse a slimline. I've probably made over 100 now and I just getting to the nicer kits.

darrin1200

Jim - the blank was bought dyed.

As for help, I was amazed. I did a quick demo pen talking him through the whole process. After that the only work I did on his pen was I drilled and glued one half of the blank to show him what to do. During the turning, sanding and finishing, the only thing I did was give some asthetic advice.
He worked very slow and careful, all the turning was done with a small gouge. He picked up the CA/BLO finish really quick.
He is rightly very proud of his pen.

Darrin

jbostian

He should be very proud of that pen. That is an amazing job for his first attempt. Heck it might be better then the ones I am doing after about 6 months of turning.

Jamie

DurocShark

I love those incompletely dyed blanks. I think they're MUCH more interesting than the fully dyed ones. That one looks great!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'd be very surprised if that is his last pen. You've recruited another!! Good job to both of you!

Top Bottom