Brooks803 Vintage Violet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. I haven't turned anything in several days..so this was a really nice morning. I turned one of Jonathon's (Brooks803) blanks I got yesterday...it's the first one of his that I've worked with. It's on a 22k/Rhodium Jr. Statesman Rollerball. After taking the pictures and looking at them for a while..I don't think I did his blank justice with the reverse painting or the photos but I tried and it was practice. I didn't have violet Ceramcoat to reverse paint with so I mixed colors to come up with something that had some resemblance to violet. I think the color I applied was a little too white and blue. I used chameleon tubes from CSUSA made for the Jr. Statesman. Fun to turn...not chippy at all. Sanded to 600 grit, MM to 12000 followed by HUT plastic polish. I took two closeup shots but I had a heck of a time keeping dust off the surface..probably static buildup. If I had to do it again, I would have waited and gotten violet Ceramcoat and gotten better pictures.:rolleyes:. Hope you like it anyway. Comments are welcome but most of all thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Brooks803 Vintage Violet.jpg
    Brooks803 Vintage Violet.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 233
  • Brooks803 Vintage Violet_2.jpg
    Brooks803 Vintage Violet_2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Brooks803 Vintage Violet_1.jpg
    Brooks803 Vintage Violet_1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Brooks803 Vintage Violet_3.jpg
    Brooks803 Vintage Violet_3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Brooks803 Vintage Violet_4.jpg
    Brooks803 Vintage Violet_4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AuS MaDDoG

Doc,

I like it!! Fit is good.
I have a couple of these to do next, I have never done these before so I'm now really looking forward to doing them after seeing your's :wink:

Cheers
Tony.

wiset1

Wild...! I really love the blanks Jonathon comes up with and I'm looking forward to seeing the ones he comes up with for me when time allows. I still have about 10 days left here in Germany before we head back and then it's a wait for our house before I can turn again. Can't wait! Anyways, this is a bautiful pen Doc and you did a great job with the blank even if you think it could have been better with the other paint. A real beauty...Thanks for showing her

wiset1

P.S. how would you rate the Statesman and Jr. against the Majestic and Jr.? As much as I use the Majestics for my own work, the Statesman has really grown on me and I'm thinking about getting a couple kits. Any thoughts or tips Doc?

wizard

Tim, Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to see you come home. Where are you going to be living?....Hope you have space for a workshop:biggrin:.
Can't wait to see what you are probably sketching in the meantime...:wink:.
Welcome home to you and your family!! Regards, Doc

wiset1

The family and I will be on Ft Belvoir in VA, and we've been given a 3 bedroom with a 2 car garage. One side of that garage will become my new workshop. The problem is that my new position will have me traveling about 200 days out of the year so I'll have to make my time at home count. With that being said, I hope to attend some shows while I'm back and have a chance to meet some other artists. Take care and best wishes Doc!

arw01

Doc, always good taste in blanks!

Personally, I think the gold on that particular kit clashes and takes away from the blank. I wonder how the eyes would react to a pure rhodium or chrome plated kit with nothing to take from the blank.

If I flash that blank onto the screen, I always focus in on the band, before I notice the blank.

Someday, you will have to lay out all your collection and take some overall photos!

Last edited:

wizard

P.S. how would you rate the Statesman and Jr. against the Majestic and Jr.? As much as I use the Majestics for my own work, the Statesman has really grown on me and I'm thinking about getting a couple kits. Any thoughts or tips Doc?

Tim, I've never really seen or worked with the full sized Statesman. I can tell you what I think of the Jr. Statesman compared to the Majestic, and to some extent the Majestic Jr. The Jr. Statesman seems:
1. A lot more versatile when it comes to using a variety of blanks.
2. Less daunting of a pen to put in your pocket and more practical to use.
3. With the Jr. Statesman, choice of postable and non-postable as compared to the Majestic which is non-postable or Majestic Jr. available only in the postable form.
4. Whenever I ask somebody to pick a pen from my collection as a gift, I have yet to see a female pick up either a Majestic or it's Jr. counterpart.
5. As far as the bling factor, the Jr. Statesman seems to be midrange..elegant yet simple as opposed to Majestics which are....let's say a little higher up on the bling factor and I think limits their usage.
Please take the above with a grain of salt...they are just IMHO...
I have a bunch of Majestics and Majestic Jr. Rollerballs and Fountain Pens which are sitting because I can't visualize what to put on them. You visualize what looks on them well..from segmentation projects to Lucite. I hope that makes sense....anyway that's probably more information than you wanted to know. Regards, Doc:)

Last edited:

wizard

Doc, always good taste in blanks!

Personally, I think the gold on that particular kit classes and takes away from the blank. I wonder how the eyes would react to a pure rhodium or chrome plated kit with nothing to take from the blank.

If I flash that blank onto the screen, I always focus in on the band, before I notice the blank.

Someday, you will have to lay out all your collection and take some overall photos!

Alan, I think you are right! In retrospect...that is what I would have like to have done. I noticed Jonathon also put some of beautiful blanks on Rhodium components. Regards, Doc

Dan_F

That's a fine looking pen. It's hard to get vibrant colors mixing Ceramcoat, because the primaries themselves are not very pure in chroma. On the other hand, you arrived at a very nice muted color for this pen, which suits it well.

Dan

wiset1

Thanks Doc, it's always great getting feedback from those who use the material. Since I'm thinking about moving into new kits this seemed like a great option. Again, thanks for your thoughts and I look forward to more pens being posted...:biggrin:

Tim, I've never really seen or worked with the full sized Statesman. I can tell you what I think of the Jr. Statesman compared to the Majestic, and to some extent the Majestic Jr. The Jr. Statesman seems:
1. A lot more versatile when it comes to using a variety of blanks.
2. Less daunting of a pen to put in your pocket and more practical to use.
3. With the Jr. Statesman, choice of postable and non-postable as compared to the Majestic which is non-postable or Majestic Jr. available only in the postable form.
4. Whenever I ask somebody to pick a pen from my collection as a gift, I have yet to see a female pick up either a Majestic or it's Jr. counterpart.
5. As far as the bling factor, the Jr. Statesman seems to be midrange..elegant yet simple as opposed to Majestics which are....let's say a little higher up on the bling factor and I think limits their usage.
Please take the above with a grain of salt...they are just IMHO...
I have a bunch of Majestics and Majestic Jr. Rollerballs and Fountain Pens which are sitting because I can't visualize what to put on them. You visualize what looks on them well..from segmentation projects to Lucite. I hope that makes sense....anyway that's probably more information than you wanted to know. Regards, Doc:)

PR_Princess

Another great looking pen Doc! I think that you did great mixing the paints..accents the color and depth of Jonathon's blanks wonderfully! LOL before you know it, you will be treating us with your artistic talents by doing some true reverse painting!:biggrin:

Interesting. Do you think that males might favour the Majestic styling more? The Majestics are more blingy, but also a bit more masculine looking to me - with harder, stronger, more defined lines over those of the Statesman.

Last edited:

ToddMR

Wow that is an awesome blank! You did a good job picking out the kit and putting it all together Doc! I think it looks really good. A lady I know at work would LOVE a pen like that one. I will have to keep my eyes opened for when more of those blanks come up. Good job!

wizard

Another great looking pen Doc! I think that you did great mixing the paints..accents the color and depth of Jonathon's blanks wonderfully! LOL before you know it, you will be treating us with your artistic talents by doing some true reverse painting!:biggrin:

Interesting. Do you think that males might favour the Majestic styling more? The Majestics are more blingy, but also a bit more masculine looking to me - with harder, stronger, more defined lines over those of the Statesman.

Thank you for the kind words. Dawn, It's interesting... when someone I know picks out a pen for themselves from my collection. Feel like I learn something more out their personality and maybe the impression which they want to leave with others. Men, particular those in leadership roles, tend to be the ones that usually pick the Majestic and Emperor pens. Younger adults and teens tend to pick Black Titanium Jr. Gentleman's and Navigators particularly those with Jeff Powell's blanks. Women tend to gravitate towards the Jr. Statesmen and Sierra Type pens. These observations are mainly based on pens I give away by letting people pick a pen for themselves out of my collection. It's probably different for those people that sell their pens. It's just kind of interesting. I imagine it would be also interesting for someone I know with training in Psychology:wink:. Regards, Doc:)

seamus7227

Not knowing how the blank looks before drilling and turning, I'd say it still looks gorgeous! I did not appear to have any weird color tones to me. Nice work doc!

Top Bottom