Brooks803, cross-cut!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

321570_213308238729249_100001502242963_565586_124294083_n.jpg

I cut this one into cubes, turned them 90 degrees and stacked them to get the new blank made. I'd been sitting on the idea for a while, and now that I can make a one piece, it seemed like a good idea to finally give it a shot. I'm really happy with the outcome, sadly the transmission came apart post-assembly, so I gotta fix it on Friday if Dad's punch set is up to it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

LOL....after reading the title I'll admit I was a bit scared! I really like it Allan. Knowing what you cut up you did the absolute best thing for it! Looks great and I'm liking the single barrel slims you've been doing

Drstrangefart

LOL....after reading the title I'll admit I was a bit scared! I really like it Allan. Knowing what you cut up you did the absolute best thing for it! Looks great and I'm liking the single barrel slims you've been doing

Thanks! I think I have 3 or 4 of the blanks left now, so I'm trying to find ways to justify shrinking the supply any further. I have another idea to try out later, maybe for Pens For Hope where the gold areas are butted together in the middle and the pattern essentially reverses from there.

Brooks803

That's a cool idea. I was thinking if you had a bookmatched pair you could try a glue up where the swirled parts at the bottom lined up and resaw to blank size. Or even do the same glue up you just did only try at an angle and maybe you'll get a spiral of the gold up and down the blank. That'd be cool. I'll search the shop for any blanks like those and bringem for ya Sat.

Drstrangefart

Bookending them together is an interesting idea. I have some issues with dead centering a regular barrel, let alone a one piece. That may have to wait until I reach better equipment.

Bobalu

Hopefully you only do this with those Brooks blanks. Wouldn't want to see any of my art cut up and pasted back together like this.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just kidding. I think this is my new favorite Drstrangefart pen. The pen with the teddy bear stuck on it now takes second place. Really nice work.

Drstrangefart

I tried to repair the transmission, and kept breaking the glue-ups on the segments. Finally, I just turned it into an ugly whistle. Brooks' PR looks as good as ever, but it's no longer aesthetically pleasing as there's a LOT of half-baked repairs and other rough treatment.

Top Bottom