Brooks Dragon's Lair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bjbear76

bjbear76

I had a request for a nouveau sceptre fountain pen made with a dragon's lair blank from Jonathon. I went through 4 different reverse painting trials before getting it right. This was back painted with jet black paint. I was afraid the black would darken the light colors in the blank, but it actually brought them out and really has great contrast. Naturally, my amateurish photo skills don't do the pen justice. But I learned a lot about the effects of different paints. The first attempts were with buttermilk cream (too washed out, not much contrast) platinum (somewhat darker, but not much) dark brown (got closer, but the colors didn't pop).
I think my tendency in the past has been to paint the tube with a similar color in the blank. This was a great learning experience to try new ideas experiment with different paints.

Attachments

• Dragon's Lair 1a.jpg
    Dragon's Lair 1a.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Dragon's Lair 2a.jpg
    Dragon's Lair 2a.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 311
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Looks great Bill! I never would have thought black would have been the color to go with. Sorry to have mislead you on the silver! :redface:

No need to be sorry Jonathon. I needed a starting point and I learned a lot from this project. The other blanks came out looking great too, but this is more what my customer was looking for. I'm keeping the one painted dark brown for myself :)

Top Bottom