Broke the slump on the METAL Lathe!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Not exactly finished, but after owning the MicroLux 7x16 for about a year now and never using it I was rather excited to post some of what I've been up to.

First image is a solid brass rod used as a test made to look like a pen. I did this just to figure the lathe out and try some knurling. The next 3 pics are of some stainless steel. I still have to polish out some of the minor scratches, but overall it's where I like it based on shape. I still have a ways to go, but at least I'm back to making pens. Been about a year since I've made anything looking like a pen so I'm more or less happy.

Brass:
8691172436_0eda5b1852_z.jpg

Stainless Steel SMOKING hot: Burning oil
8691172370_16f0a588bc_z.jpg

8690053625_626687e895_z.jpg

Stainless with accent bands, not seated in yet so you see the gap:

8691172350_643a1c91e4_z.jpg

Once I polish this up and cut it away from the scrap I'll have a finished lower portion of my pen. It's based off of the full sized statesman pen.

Enjoy :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Tim,

Welcome back to turning missed your designs and pens, sure sounds like you are a frequent flier.

Between you and Skippy you are having fun as well. IMHO Stainless requires so much more work

Kind regards Peter.

Brooks803

Looks great Tim! Much easier to see the details than on my phone that's for sure. Glad you're getting back in the saddle. Hopefully work doesn't send you back out before the MAPG. It'd be great to hang out some more. Plus you'd get to meet the baby!

BSea

That stainless piece looks fantastic. Plus you seem to have a good handle on knurling. Just 1 thing I don't understand. Neither of them look like a knife. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Tim, you are not allowed to do this!!!:mad:

There is an unwritten rule that says you have to struggle and curse and break stuff, LONG before you get the stage you're at already. :biggrin:

Well done !! Keep it up !!:biggrin:

JohnU

Great looking pen! I think your knurled brass would also make a cool looking pen, or maybe a stainless with knurled bands where the finger tips would hold it. ( just a thought). I'm jealous of you guys and the fantastic metal lathe work you do. Welcome back!

wiset1

Thank you

Tim,

Welcome back to turning missed your designs and pens, sure sounds like you are a frequent flier.

Between you and Skippy you are having fun as well. IMHO Stainless requires so much more work

Kind regards Peter.

Thanks Peter. I have racked up quite a few miles this past year so it's nice to have a little down time. Stainless Steel really is a difficult first metal pen, but that's why it's fun.

Looks great Tim! Much easier to see the details than on my phone that's for sure. Glad you're getting back in the saddle. Hopefully work doesn't send you back out before the MAPG. It'd be great to hang out some more. Plus you'd get to meet the baby!

Thanks JB, I still have a ways to go and just couldn't let that lathe get the best of me. Would love to see the little one! I've asked the wife and kids to come along if I'm in town.

That stainless piece looks fantastic. Plus you seem to have a good handle on knurling. Just 1 thing I don't understand. Neither of them look like a knife. :biggrin:

Yeah, no knives this time. I like to do one design a couple times and move on to something new. I may go back to those designs later now that I'm working with some metal.

Beautiful. What do you think of the lathe?

to be honest with I wish I would have bought bigger, but for the size and price I love what it does. I wish I would have purchased a larger chuck with a bigger diameter pass through. The one that comes with it won't even pass through the .75 rods. Need collets as well :rolleyes:

Tim, you are not allowed to do this!!!:mad:

There is an unwritten rule that says you have to struggle and curse and break stuff, LONG before you get the stage you're at already. :biggrin:

Well done !! Keep it up !!:biggrin:

Skip, I've cursed quite a bit and ranted on the forum about the learning curve. The issue was the "Dream Cutter" I bought thinking it would make life easier. All it did was add to the learning curve. Once I took it off and put the quick release back on everything started to make sense. It make me appreciate and scratch my head when I see the work you do. Thanks for the comments!:biggrin:

Top Bottom