Bright Canary Yellow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gofer

Gofer

Jmhoff10500 was very generous and gave away some blanks for a few lucky members a while back and I got one of them. Sorry this took so long to post Jonathan.

The blank arrived needing only to be trimmed and turned with a few extras in the package as well. First impressions were ... geez that thing is bright, but the casting was clear and no bubbles were to be seen.

389619818.jpg

I went into the garage that evening and got started, the tubes were clean and clear so straight to the drill press. The blank was trimmed of very quickly with no problems at all. I mounted on the lathe between centers, this is where I made my first error, I tightened the tail stock a little to much and heard a crack. Luckily I only chipped a bit of the corner and edge off, this dissappeared in the final stage of turning to size.

I made my second mistake when I took "just one more light cut" with the skew. Sanding the error resulted in being 10 thou under size on one end, not very noticable but still a pain. The blank sanded beautifully and after mm to 12,000 it was polished with Turtle Wax Ice.

389619823.jpg

My photo skills are in need of major improvment and a photo booth would help (and lint free cloth before pics :beat-up:). Overall this was a very nice blank to turn and has been the one pen that always gets looked at by just about everyone. Still have it but it is great to get people talking about my pens in general. Not sure I would want more than 1 of these at a time, at least no more than 1 each of 3 or 4 colors.

All comments and suggestions welcome,

Bruce

Tail Rotor Turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ThomJ

Nice work. That yellow is like putting a lojack in a pen for anyone who constantly sets it down and forgets where it is

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice looking pen. Jonathan sent me one of those a while back. It's for a Jr. series. Was wondering what it would look like turned. Guess I got to get to mine now.

Top Bottom