Brazilian Cherry Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hunter-27

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
If the powers that be think this should go to a different forum, please feel free to move it or tell me to.

2008412212515_Brazilian%20Cherry.jpg

Opinions welcomed as always. (How else do I get better?)

If you always do the same thing, you will always get the same result. So..............I tried something different for a finish.

Turners Magic from woodwriteltd.com
2 coats sealer
3 coats semi-gloss
3 coats super-gloss

Awesome Shine. Easy to apply, but Whoa Baby does it smell. Only time will tell on the durability. Sending it to a nurse friend of mine in NYC to subject it to a rough life to test it out. I'll be sure and update the results of my little "test".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

Nice looking pen dude.Great work.Finish looks great.Photos looking much better.:DThe blank is a little plain,but I think it suits the pen kit well.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks to those who posted. The Turners Magic advertises well and is easy. I'll be sure to post a follow-up after it gets my "real world" test under its belt. :D

txbatons

Originally posted by rdunn12

The blank is a little plain,but I think it suits the pen kit well.

Nice pen! Beautiful color!

Regarding the plain blank, sometimes those sell faster and get the most compliments! I recently sold a conducting baton that was made from the plainest piece of pecan you've ever seen. Very boring. The purchaser sent me an email and a public post on another board going on and on about how beautiful it is. I know it's weird, but we underestimate the perception of customers at times regarding blanks.

woodchuckcuda

Ironocally, I just turned my first Brazilian Cherry Wallstreet today. I am also interested in the wood. The color really surprised me. It is a real classy look.

redfishsc

Nice pen! Beautiful color!

Regarding the plain blank, sometimes those sell faster and get the most compliments! I recently sold a conducting baton that was made from the plainest piece of pecan you've ever seen. Very boring. The purchaser sent me an email and a public post on another board going on and on about how beautiful it is. I know it's weird, but we underestimate the perception of customers at times regarding blanks.

A big 10-4 on that one! What I have noticed is that most customers assume that the wild grained burly curlies I like to make are plastic. I sell a 50/50 mix of wood and plastics, and people assume the "unbelievable" looking wood pens are actually plastic (no thanks to the overly glossy finish I sometimes do). However, the pens that look like normal wood get real kudos. Usually they pick up a wood pen, say it's nice, then lay it down and buy an acrylic that has flashy colors.
[?][?][?]

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Well, the finish appears to be as advertised. Holds up far superior to any other "friction" type I've ever used. It seems to have scratched less than the CA after being subjected to some intentional rough treatment. It gives a great shine and being a friction type polish, it leaves the wood, feeling like, well..........Wood. Does not feel like a plastic coat on top like CA. I'm guessing this will appeal more to some than others. I don't know if I'll convert the hard core CA'ers but for those wanting an EASY, FAST, and DURABLE finish, I would give this a go. Hope my little test was informative. I'll be using and testing it further now that the initial results seem promising.

JohnU

Great Looking Pen. I like Braz Cherry, especially when you get a good piece with the dark grain lines in it. Nice finish too!

Top Bottom