Brassy? Classy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

It's definitely brassy. I'm afraid that it scores pretty low on the "classy" scale. I'm pretty certain I won't be doing any more brass pen bodies unless I'm going to plate them (which I had planned with this and then got lazy).

You may recognize it from the "to buff or not to buff" thread. Buff won out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ed

Attachments

• BrassBuffedCapped.jpg
    BrassBuffedCapped.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 457
  • BrassBuffedUncapped.jpg
    BrassBuffedUncapped.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 479
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

I think if you dialed back how much of the body had the pattern it would clean up quite nicely. The diamond pattern is a bit overwhelming when it covers the entire length.

Ed McDonnell

brass corn cob?

If I put a couple metal prongs in the ends instead of pen stuff they would make pretty decent corn holders. :biggrin:

Although I used free machining brass, so it might not be the best thing to have in contact with food. :eek: Except maybe for people like me who don't have enough brain cells left to matter.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I think if you dialed back how much of the body had the pattern it would clean up quite nicely. The diamond pattern is a bit overwhelming when it covers the entire length.

But it's really sparkly as you move it in the light Dan!! That's got to count for something!!!!

Love it or hate it, there is no right answer here. I kind of like it covering the whole thing (it's the brass I'm not so fond of). But that's just me. I could see how someone might feel different. Fortunately, everything eventually finds its way to somebody that loves it.

Ed

Last edited:

OZturner

Call me Crazy if you want to,
But I think it is Fantastic.
As far as the length of the Diamond pattern, I think the treatment you have on the ends gives great relief to the pattern.
I agree that - Yes there could be a problem with the brass surface at sometime.
But what the heck, it is Innovative, the boundary has been pushed back.
It is Different.
Fantastic Craftsmanship, Ed.
Brian.

Ed McDonnell

Call me Crazy if you want to,
But I think it is Fantastic.
As far as the length of the Diamond pattern, I think the treatment you have on the ends gives great relief to the pattern.
I agree that - Yes there could be a problem with the brass surface at sometime.
But what the heck, it is Innovative, the boundary has been pushed back.
It is Different.
Fantastic Craftsmanship, Ed.
Brian.

Thank you to all for the comments, compliments and support.

Brian - I'm hoping that the brass will stay bright for a long time. I coated it with permalac, which is used widely in industry and commercially on brass exposed to tough conditions. The manufacturer rates it with a minimum 10 year life when exposed to weather, UV and salt air. They even say it will resist a blow torch for 10 seconds. I don't know what all of that translates to in terms of "pen" years but they do rate it as good for at least 18 months on railings / doors that get constant human contact.

Of course if someone does something that abrades the finish the brass will do what brass does when left exposed. But it's a pretty tough finish. A permalac finish can be easily renewed by someone used to working with it, but probably not by the average person.

Ed

Dan Hintz

I would be interested in seeing this same design using a much darker material, like gunmetal... I think that would put it in an appropriate light for my tastes. Just change out the brass, mind you, not the kit color... the minor contrast would look nice.

Ed McDonnell

I would be interested in seeing this same design using a much darker material, like gunmetal... I think that would put it in an appropriate light for my tastes. Just change out the brass, mind you, not the kit color... the minor contrast would look nice.

Hmmmm....maybe still brass, but with a nice dark brown patina. Or some other patina options. Lots of possibilities.

Ed

Top Bottom