Brass slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This was one of my first pens made around 3 weeks ago.
It was turned out of 1/2 brass rod bought off feebay and I used a Vertex gunmetal kit.
I think it turned out great, I am sure it is ALOT to heavy and wavy for most but it was fun to make. It was sanded and polished right on the lathe and came out very smooth and shiny.
Comments good or bad welcome.
Sorry, not a Slimline but a Vertex.

Attachments

• trimmed brass Vertex.jpg
    trimmed brass Vertex.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Nice looking pen.

Way too busy back ground. I made that mistake myself in the beginning. One of hobbies being photography I loaded the background with neat stuff. But quickly learned it distracted from the pen.

It is the pen you people to see. The pen is lost in that background. Keep the background plain and simple shoot for no background at all you will get much better photos.

I would like to see another shot of that without the background to see the detail. It looks real nice. Did you turn it all on a wood lathe.

Very nice

JD Combs Sr

Ditto on bruce119's background comments. Definitely a different kind of pen and good looking but would look even better w/o the clutter.

I thought it looked cool at the time but yes it it way to busy.
I have a homemade photo box?? that I have started to use nothing fancy but I think I get much better pics.
I was going to take a few shots of it in the box but then realized I had sold it and have no other pics of it. Oh well, it was a fun one to make, and yes I got the carbide tipped tools from Amazon (3 pc) and those are what I use for everything.

penmaker1967

very nice pen i am going to try a copper pen myself as soon as i get done with the pith and a aug show that i have to do again a very nice pen

PaulDoug

Will I give it an A+. I'd like to have you tell a little about the turning brass. When you say brass rod, you mean it was a solid brass? Not a tube? I like to see the different material used.

I sanded and finished it then just used the plastic polish I use for all my acrylics.
To make it I bought a 1ft pc of 1/2 solid brass rod on feebay $4.00 + shipping I think it was. I cut to length, drilled 3/8 hole for the Vertex kit, and glued the tube inside..... Everything is exactly the same as making a regular pen. I have a 3 piece carbide chisel set from penn that I got from Amazon.
You just have to go slower than normal.

PaulDoug

I sanded and finished it then just used the plastic polish I use for all my acrylics.
To make it I bought a 1ft pc of 1/2 solid brass rod on feebay $4.00 + shipping I think it was. I cut to length, drilled 3/8 hole for the Vertex kit, and glued the tube inside..... Everything is exactly the same as making a regular pen. I have a 3 piece carbide chisel set from penn that I got from Amazon.
You just have to go slower than normal.

Thanks Brian. Good info. I like the alternate materials like I said. Right now I am playing with soft stones. Great fun.

Top Bottom