Brass segment EB Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hadn't done one of these in a long time. Still having trouble exiting the blank with the blade so the joints will line up. Still a good way to spend some time.:biggrin: I believe the wood is Jarrah Burl. Maybe Mike Kennedy will confirm or correct me if I'm wrong. (I bought the blank from Mike):wink:

CA, 400 & 600 wet, Novus II , Maguires PlastX & Ren Wax. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Chuck it looks like Jarrah to me. I have never tried the scroll saw segmenting like that yet so I cannot help on the alignment. The pen looks darn good though.

steeler fan1

Hi Chuck,

Looks good all around. On the segmenting I seem to recall a video, beleive it was that young boy that was making pens? Seems he had his jig setup so he didn't cut all the way through the blank. Stopped just short, glued in his segment material, went on to the next cut.

At least thats what I seem to remember, or maybe it was all a dream:redface:
I suffer from CRS you know:rolleyes:.

Carl

Timebandit

Hi Chuck,

Looks good all around. On the segmenting I seem to recall a video, beleive it was that young boy that was making pens? Seems he had his jig setup so he didn't cut all the way through the blank. Stopped just short, glued in his segment material, went on to the next cut.

Carl

Not a dream,but he was making a celtic knot. This was done by a scroll saw im sure, bandsaw at the least, and has nice sweeping lines. You wont be able to do that with a jig. This is all hand work.

Nice one Dale

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful pen! Looks very elegant and swirly, and the finish is like glass!
Thanks Angela, I was impressed with this design when David Washburn made one at our local chapter meeting. The finish is the easy part:biggrin:

Chuck it looks like Jarrah to me. I have never tried the scroll saw segmenting like that yet so I cannot help on the alignment. The pen looks darn good though.
Thanks Mike, I cut these on a 10" bandsaw with a 5/16" blade. Barely makes the turn. I promised myself I would get a 1/4" blade but, haven't yet.

Hi Chuck,

Carl
Thanks Carl, I had that thought of not cutting all the way thru but, decided not to vary from the steps on this one. I'll have to give that one a try sometime. You have CRS too?:rolleyes:

Hi Chuck,

Carl

Not a dream,but he was making a celtic knot. This was done by a scroll saw im sure, bandsaw at the least, and has nice sweeping lines. You wont be able to do that with a jig. This is all hand work.

Nice one Dale
I have tried to cut these on a scrollsaw in the past. But, the blade grabbed the blank and bounced it up & down and ended up a mess. I do much better with the bandsaw. It's a Marine Corps bandsaw:biggrin: (inside joke there) Thank you for the compliment!

IPD_Mr

I have tried to cut these on a scrollsaw in the past. But, the blade grabbed the blank and bounced it up & down and ended up a mess. I do much better with the bandsaw. It's a Marine Corps bandsaw:biggrin: (inside joke there) Thank you for the compliment!

Oh my goodness Chuck, if you can hold a car buffer you can hold a blank in the scroll saw. :biggrin: Just make sure you have a good sharp blade in it. Also the more that I thought about it, should you not put the brass in place and glue the blank before you make the cuts on the next side?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Oh my goodness Chuck, if you can hold a car buffer you can hold a blank in the scroll saw. :biggrin: Just make sure you have a good sharp blade in it. Also the more that I thought about it, should you not put the brass in place and glue the blank before you make the cuts on the next side?
:biggrin: I can handle the big tools! I just remembered, a guy near Zionsville was going to give me some scrollsaw blades. But, he's pretty busy. Anyway, I don't have to worry about the scrollsaw anymore. It takes alot of skill to operate one of those things. My hat's off to those who possess such skills.:wink: YES, I thought about the NOT cutting all the way thru the blank approach. When you cut all the way thru the blank, this allows you to sand each piece smooth so, you can spread the glue evenly when gluing the metal to the wood/acrylic pieces. After drying, sand the sides smooth then rotate the blank to cut the other side.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Part of the allignment problem can be caused by the brass filler material is not as wide as the kerf on your blade you are using. YOu might take a mic and check to see if you havent already done that.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Chuck,

Still looks better than I could do. BTW, they make 1/8" bandsaw blades too.
Thanks Mike, I didn't see anything smaller than 5/16 I'll have to look a little closer next time I order, which will be soon as I need to keep a couple on hand.:redface:
Part of the allignment problem can be caused by the brass filler material is not as wide as the kerf on your blade you are using. YOu might take a mic and check to see if you havent already done that.

Mike
Thanks Mike, the brass IS thinner than the blade but, I didn't think that would affect the orientation of the pattern. But, guess I'll have to live with it 'til this sheet is gone. Thanks for the suggestion.

And I thought I was special with my aluminum celtic knots. Way to raise the bar on me!
Thanks Allan, your Celtic knots ARE special. I tried one of those 6 strand knots on my PITH pen and trashed it. But I'm going to try again soon. Thanks for the compliment.

rej19

Nice pen Chuck! Brings back a few memories of our meeting when I first saw these done.

Ok, I think we have passed you up. It's going to be 90 degrees today. Nice hot day for a 500 mile race.

See ya.

monark88

I just wanted to 2nd what mredburn(Mike) said. Whatever material thickness you cut out, you will have to replace with the same thickness.
I learned this in making rod handles.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice pen Chuck! Brings back a few memories of our meeting when I first saw these done.

Ok, I think we have passed you up. It's going to be 90 degrees today. Nice hot day for a 500 mile race.

See ya.
Thanks, Ron. That was a good time meeting. Glad it finally warmed up for you. Both races today had pretty wild endings. Crazy!

I just wanted to 2nd what mredburn(Mike) said. Whatever material thickness you cut out, you will have to replace with the same thickness.
I learned this in making rod handles.
I appreciate the comment. Better to have material too small than too thick. Thanks.

wizard

That's a beautiful pen. I've never done scroll segmenting but this is inspiring enough to try one! Regards, Doc

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice pen. The contrast in materials is splendid. Great...
Thank you!

I went downstairs to try my own take on this. None of my saws can cut a curve. Something I guess I gotta wait on trying out.
I was so intrigued by the design, I got on Craigslist and, found a scrollsaw for $50.00 . Ended up using my bandsaw. It's an interesting process. Hope to see some of your pens some day.
That's a beautiful pen. I've never done scroll segmenting but this is inspiring enough to try one! Regards, Doc
Thanks Doc, I'm looking forward to seeing YOUR results.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice.....do you have posted anywhere how you do that?
Thanks Don. Click on the Library and, select Pen Blanks in the menu. Scroll down to "Sheet Metal Segmenting" done by djwood1 Let me know if I can help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom