Brand new pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick Prevett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Rick Prevett
<br />I've cleaned out my old photos and have put up a new batch of 8 pens that I've made lately.

enjoy and comments / critiques welcome

rick

Very nice Rick, looks like you bought the right scanner. Mine sucks for scanning pens, but works great for flat media. [xx(]

melchioe

I'm still amazed that scanners can give such good results for this type of thing. I guess it's another example of people "thinking outside the box" in this pen-turning endeavor - I'm so conditioned into thinking scanning is for flat things only, it never occurred to me that it could be used for 3d objects...

Nice pens!

-e-

Rick Prevett

Thanks for the comments!

Lee, the scanner is a Microtek 'ScanMaker 4800'. I got it about 2 years ago and then it was at the middle of the pack.

Ed, sure surprised the heck out of me too! I saw what others had done using the scanner and some photoshop style color/brightness effects and tried it out.

Now if I could only fit my bowls in the dang scanner [:p]

rick

timdaleiden

Originally posted by debturnswood
<br />how are the "floating " pen pictures doen?

It's actually very simple. You just need the right software (and a bit of helium[:p]). I used a free trial version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro version 8. The background is selected, and cleared (and filled in some cases). The selection is then inverted and a 3d drop down shadow effect is added, and adjusted. Bingo...floating pen. [:)]

Rick Prevett

Tim, thanks for the info on the floating pen effect. Sure didn't do that on mine, just a little brightness/contrast adjustment, and a color filter to lighten up the scan.

rick

debturnswood

Hi, i just posted a picture of a blood wood pen with american flag clip I made tonight. I used the scanner and adobe photo shop, but i think taking picture with camera may be easier! I was disappointed with the scan and the fact it does not show the beautiful wood color as well, but then again, i am not too good at adobe yet!

fhinde

Originally posted by debturnswood
<br />Hi, i just posted a picture of a blood wood pen with american flag clip I made tonight. I used the scanner and adobe photo shop, but i think taking picture with camera may be easier! I was disappointed with the scan and the fact it does not show the beautiful wood color as well, but then again, i am not too good at adobe yet!

Deb, I just looked for your bloodwood pen and can not find it![?]

debturnswood

HI Fred, in Nashville, and all fellow turners.... finally figured out how to upload bloodwood pen, My origianl ociture was too big. The photo is on line now

jrc

Hi Fred, Do you live in Nashville or Fairview? Are there many pen makers in your area? I was born and raised in south Nashville near Harding Mall. I went the the flea market at the fairgrounds a year ago looking for other pen makers and suprised not to find any there.

fhinde

Originally posted by jrc
<br />Hi Fred, Do you live in Nashville or Fairview? Are there many pen makers in your area? I was born and raised in south Nashville near Harding Mall. I went the the flea market at the fairgrounds a year ago looking for other pen makers and suprised not to find any there.

Jim, I live in Fairview but Nashville is so much better sounding![:)] (Fairview is 15 miles South-West of Nashville) I am originally from Key West, Fla but that place has changed so much I could not live there anymore. I was stationed in Smyrna TN and loved the area and people so I retired here in 1980.

I started making pens just over a year ago now and have taught 2 others to be better then myself so far. I have been contacted by 3 other people in the area making pens now and I see more people buying parts at the woodcraft store every visit so I guess the craft is really growing in the area. Next time you are in town give me a shout.

fhinde

Deb, The pen looks very good but I think your scanner does not have a very great depth of field. Hmm, no F stops, so how do you adjust the depth of field[;)] Just joking.

Deb in your scan program you should be able to crop and size the image prior to scanning it so you would not need the large matting to detract from the picture. Most programs allow you to drag and drop a frame around the area you want to scan. In the preview you should see a hatched line frame that you can resize buy clicking and holding on a side of it and drag it to were you want that side to be. Hope this helps.

Rick Prevett

Originally posted by fhinde
<br />Deb... in your scan program you should be able to crop and size the image prior to scanning it so you would not need the large matting to detract from the picture. Most programs allow you to drag and drop a frame around the area you want to scan. In the preview you should see a hatched line frame that you can resize buy clicking and holding on a side of it and drag it to were you want that side to be. Hope this helps.

That's exactly the way my scan software works also. It also automagically starts my photo editor with the scanned image. From there I was able to adjust the contrast, lighting and coloring.

rick

jrc

Hi Fred, I had a friend that lived in Bon aqua just down the road and another living in Fairview named Kilabrew. I left Nashville in the mid 70s.

pecartus

Rick,

Nice looking pens, I noticed in the pictures, the gold was showing some multi coloring on them, is there a way to help mimize this in the scanner software or do you go to a photo software to accomplish this? I have the problem on gold plating, but not on the platinum or black chrome. I am still experimenting with using the scanner for pens, because it seems I have a phobia with cameras.

Rick Prevett

Patrick, to tell the truth, I hadn't even seen any multi-color effect until you pointed it out. I went back to my maple gold designer and now see that the clip has gone multi-colored! yikes!

I haven't a clue right now on what to do to minimize this. I'm guessing it was an affect of the photo editor rather than the scanner. I'll rescan that pen and see what's up.

rick

Daniel

This is my thoughts on the color effects. but more something that is rolloing around in the back of my head among the other useless information.
the scanner has a bar of light that travels along the image. it is recording that image in pieces. the color effects could be from the reflection of that light at the moment it is recorded. kind of like a rainbow is broken up light from refelcting through water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom