Brand New to Pen Turning - Comments/Critiques Welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from giardinm

giardinm

First ever pen - finished with docs wood turners finish (already coming off)
This pen is a blank of walnut, maple, and purple heart.

Second pen ever was my wife's first attempt at the lathe ever - purple lavabrite acrylic. Couldn't be more proud, absolutely incredible what micromesh can do

Third pen (my second) - black and white slim line. Guys at woodcraft say it's ok, but looking for feedback.

Fourth pen - actually just a blank from the second half of the first pen with first ever CA glue finish on it. Easier than I thought it would be, but admittedly needs a bit more polishing.

I appreciate this forum like crazy. I have already TOO many ideas on where to go next.

(alumilite casting here we come).

Any and all comments and tips about what we did wrong would be MUCH appreciated. We may even decide to sell some some day, but for now, just practicing.

Thanks again all. IAP for the win.

Attachments

• First Ever pen 1.jpg
    First Ever pen 1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 379
  • second ever 1.jpg
    second ever 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 368
  • second ever 2.jpg
    second ever 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 346
  • first slim line (3rd pen).jpg
    first slim line (3rd pen).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 359
  • First CA finish.jpg
    First CA finish.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 362
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

Welcome! The slimline is very nice! You already have an eye to be able to line up patterns from one tube to the other. Very good in keeping the diameters consistent throughout on this pen.

The purple one has just the slightest bump in the middle. I am assuming this is on purpose as it appears to very symmetrical. Bumps and ellipses you will find are very much a personal preference.

Overall good start! Welcome!

giardinm

lhowell, thanks for the honest comments. Much appreciated.
I have been finding that it is hard to get honest feedback of potential flaws.

The bump in the middle was intentional and symmetrical.
She wanted it to be a bit smoother in its transitions, but the shape was overall exactly what she was going for.

I was nervous about the slimline, everyone we spoke too said it's the hardest one to do well.

Our molds get here tomorrow for our first attempt at casting. The trouble is deciding what to do first. Maybe a TeamBlueLine pen for my friend that runs this nonprofit (Team Blue Line- Home - Team BlueLine), but who knows.

Last edited:

mecompco

First, welcome!
Second, thank you! Every time I open one of these threads I mentally prepare for a horrid-looking (to me) "pregnant" wasp-waisted slim line. I am pleasantly surprised by all your pens, from what I can see in the photos (which I'm thinking you will likely improve at some point) your fitment is good (the slim looks really nice), as is your finish. Perhaps what looks like some sanding marks on the wooden one, but it might be from the finish as well. Someone above has noted the shaping oddity with your wife's pen (which is also great for a first go!).

Keep up the great work!

Regards,
Michael

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi, Everyone! Thanks for the feedback on our pens. There is clearly an art to this and so many options and personal preferences. It's good to have feedback from people who have been doing this for a while. We are just diving in and already finding it's becoming a bit of an addiction. (I'm already addicted to pens, so I guess I was pre-disposed to this secondary addiction!)

We look forward to learning from you!

Christy

Last edited:

howsitwork

welcome

Nice pens don't think photos show the detail enough to comment on finish etc.

Good luck with the casting. Something I intend to try someday but vacuum stabilizing is the way I'm heading currently.

Great idea to have attractive company on the journey!

Ian

OZturner

Nice Start on your Pen Making Addiction Journey, Nick and Christy.
You will get Support, and Constructive Comments, Critiques, and Suggestions, from these pages.

Firstly, please keep your First Endeavours, so that in the Coming Weeks, Months and Years, you can use them to Gauge your Progress.

The First Pen, Nick, you have done a Great Job on the Joints of the Segmentation, they are Excellent.
IMHO I think you have been a little too ambitious, with using three Timbers.
The Walnut and Maple would have been fine on their own.
The Purple Heart is just sitting on it's own outside the Segmentation.

The Second Pen, Photo's 2 & 3, Christy, this Pen is Excellent, Superb Blank, Great Fit and Terrific Finish.

The Third Pen, the Slimline, Nick. I love the Blank, it looks Great.
However it looks like you may not have turned it down to the Bushings.
It may be the angle of the Photograph, but the Nose seems to be well below the Transition of the Blank. Similarly with the Center Band.
The Finish looks Great.

You commented that you had some trepidation due to the reputation of the Slimline.
I consider them one of the Hardest Pens to Make.
Firstly the 7 mm drill size, and the diameter of the Hardware, means that you have to turn off a lot of material, to get to the Bushing Diameter.
If you have had any problems with gluing the Tube inside the Blank, or if your drilled hole was a little over, or if you have a fragile or Cantankerous Blank all of a sudden you can have a breakout.
As well as the Difficulties mentioned in turning a Blank, Now you have to Turn Two.
All on a pen that has a hardware value of a couple of dollars.

Having said all that I don't mind turning them, they keep you awake and on your Game.
Congratulations, I look forward to Seeing more of your Work.
Brian.

Last edited:

eharri446

Since you were able to get your wife to turn a pen, she will be more understanding as you start to buy all the neat tools that we all seem to find a need for in this addiction or hobby which ever way you want to look at it.

giardinm

Ozturner:
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your comments.
We cherish and need the feedback as we feed the beast that is turning pens. :biggrin:

eharri446:
You are right.
She even went to rockler to get more supplies without me yesterday.
I was quite jealous, but VERY supportive of her decision.
:mad-tongue:

Please see second slim line attempt below.
The transitions to the center band, nib, cap are not as smooth as I would have liked, but it is a learning process. Also, the blank had a bubble in it that is prominently featured near the clip point. I only found this when sanding and polishing.
Filled it with CA glue, cured, added 3 coats of CA as a finish and then sanded/polished.
It's ok, but I was NOT happy the blank I bought had hidden bubbles inside.
oh well, here's to learning some more.

PS: Christy has one chucked up and ready to sand/finish. So maybe another to share in a day or two. It's our first attempt at a fountain pen. She is doing an AWESOME job. So glad I married this one.:):biggrin:

Attachments

• 20170427_161237 (Large).jpg
    20170427_161237 (Large).jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 20170427_161253 (Large).jpg
    20170427_161253 (Large).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 173
Thank you!

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's been very constructive and helpful. We spent some time taking better pictures last night (one pen is at Nick's work, so it hasn't been re-pictured yet).

For those who've posted their links in their profile, I've taken a look at your work and it's fantastic! We're glad to be a part of such a talented and helpful community!:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC_0256 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0256 (Large).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0290 - Copy (Large).jpg
    DSC_0290 - Copy (Large).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0292 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0292 (Large).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0303 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0303 (Large).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0315 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0315 (Large).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 206
Brian,

Thank you for your critiques! We both found them very helpful. We went to a "Mistakes" demonstration and Woodcraft and learned a lot! But, I also got really nervous that we wouldn't recognize the issues with the pens. We like for everything we do to be of high quality, so this feedback is important to make us better! I really appreciate the time you took!

Thanks!
Christy

Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. I checked out your shop and your pens are gorgeous! I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at our pens. You also encouraged me to take some time and setup a spot for photographing our pens. Your photos are so crisp and clean. I loved them!

Thanks again!
Christy

Top Bottom