Braided Brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

I casted this blank with intentions of putting these on kits with gold fittings. It is a braided brass material from flexible water pipe, just like the stainless steel that has been seen here. After I did this first one on a Sierra Vista kit I am having second thoughts. But my problem is I am not sure what colored kit or style it would look good on. I have casted some for a cigar but was thinking maybe a black chrome cigar and I have asked the question in another posting about the use of that kit.

So I thought i would throw the question out to the membership and get your opinions as to what kit this blank would look good on???? Thanks for looking and your input.

IMGP0564-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

It looks really cool to me. Perhaps if you don't care for the gold, which will wear off anyhow, then you should go with a chrome or Rhodium which would give you a nice metal to metal contrast.

Did the brass green a bit from the heat of the PR? It looks like the brass has some green oxidation to it, and that is ok, looks cool that way.

jttheclockman

It looks really cool to me. Perhaps if you don't care for the gold, which will wear off anyhow, then you should go with a chrome or Rhodium which would give you a nice metal to metal contrast.

Did the brass green a bit from the heat of the PR? It looks like the brass has some green oxidation to it, and that is ok, looks cool that way.

Actually no not at all because it is coated with some sort of epoxy I guess to make it always look shiney. These are used for exposed water connections so it needs to look good. I tried many different angles when I took the photo but could not actually capture the color so that is the lights glare. I may try an outdoor shot a little later.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I wonder if your eye is telling you that the yellow/green color in the resin is
interfering with the gold?

I wonder how it would look on a satin finish? Silver colored (forget what they call it)
The color would be far enough away from the resin color so as not to overpower it.

But don't go by me, I still mix plaids and stripes.

jttheclockman

OK here is a couple outdoor shots. The first is with sunlight hitting it and the second is in the shade. Have to get the sunshine when I can, looks like rain coming in for tomorrow. Beautiful day today with temps in the 70's. OOPS back to the pen.

The brass is actually as brass looking as it can possibly be but it is very hard to photograph, at least for me. Not a professional. It is shiney as can be and that was one of the reasons I thought to give it a try. The resin does give it a magnified look and because the weaving pattern alternates makes it look like different colored brass I am guessing. Anyway still looking for input.

IMGP0572.jpg

IMGP0575.jpg

jttheclockman

153 views and only 2 comments. No one with any input. Well I guess I will just order some of the black chrome and see how it looks and may try as Jeff said change to a silver kit and take the blank away from the gold/ brass color. OK back to casting a few different ones. Thanks.:)

truckerdave

I would like to see it in silver or maybe even copper. That's a really cool idea! I like it and I bet you could sell a bundle of blanks to members here.

Freethinker

I'll join nightowl in saying it looks like a winner just as it is.

An outstanding pen...........just beautiful.

Also, if you ever wanted to make some blanks like that for SALE, count me in........

glen r

IMHO, the gold takes away from the brass. Might I suggest a black or titanium sierra to accent the yellow color. The pen as-is is OK but does not show off your work and I believe that a black pen would accent the brass. It may also take the green tint away. Just my $0.02

jttheclockman

Gun metal would be my vote. I like that braided metal. Do you sell the blanks?

Sorry I do not sell any blanks only because I find it not cost effective for me. My process is a little more involved than how some of you who cast things. I make a couple of this and a couple of that and move on to the next adventure. There are people here who do sell these and they are members here.

Thanks everyone for looking.

ldb2000

Great looking blank John . If you want a brass kit , get some brass stock and make your own kit . You have everything you need including the talent . If you decide to try it and you need some help please feel free to PM me .

jttheclockman

Great looking blank John . If you want a brass kit , get some brass stock and make your own kit . You have everything you need including the talent . If you decide to try it and you need some help please feel free to PM me .

You know Butch that thought has crossed my mine as well. I had that thought today as I was in the shop playing with my next collection. I may just give it a try. Boy I have so many ideas in my head it hurts. I only wish I had more shop time. :eek:

CaptG

Good looking pen John. Looks like you have really mastered the casting. I knew you would. Oh ya, I think the kit you used looks great.

jttheclockman

Good looking pen John. Looks like you have really mastered the casting. I knew you would. Oh ya, I think the kit you used looks great.

Gary

Thanks and I mean that. My casting levels would not be anywhere if it were not for you. I owe you big time my friend.

Top Bottom