Boxelder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travlr7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travlr7

This past week I worked Security for a production of The Nutcracker. One of the women helping backstage and got talking about pens, etc. She worked at Quality Hardwoods, a local mill and hardwood dealer. She told me that they were having a sale last Sat & Sun (50% off).

I went down to their mill and cleaned out their Scrap box of walnut, cherry, Box Elder, Sasafrass, Oak, Beachnut, Curly Maple, Soft Maple, and several items I haven't identified yet. I figure that even at the prices marked on them, I got about $100.00 value of "shorts". The bill was for 7.00 less 50%, so I guess this is a $3.50 gloat.

When I went to work Sunday, there was a piece of Boxelder waiting for me that was big enough for about 16 pens.

So, I said to myself ................. Self...That lady deserves something in return. I usually make something out of gifted wood to give back to the giftor.

In this case, it's a pen. Hope she likes it.

The Boxelder turned very rough.... a lot of tearout. I didn't realize until I was done and finishing it that I had changed lathe speed to do a bowl and was only going at 1250 rpms. I usually turn pens at full speed of almost 4000. I hope that was the reason for the tearout, or I'll have to charge more for these. Final "tool" used was 60 grit gouge, 100 grit, 150 grit, Parifin oil rubbed with the back of a round skew (Tip from Rich), 320, 400, 600 grits. Finish is 8 coats of French Polish and Two of Briwax.
20041213202851_First%20Box%20Elder%20Pen.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Bruce;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Bruce, even with all the trouble, the pen looks very nice, and I think very appropriate for a woman. I can tell that she will like it a lot!

WoodChucker

Wow, $3.50? Heck I'll give ya five bucks for it no questions asked. [:D] Great job on the pen, keep up the good work!

R.T.

wayneis

Bruce if you want to make a small investment then have that box elder stabilized, it only costs a buck a blank and it'll turn and take a shine like a dream. Steve and Carol White at www.rrpwhite.com do all of my stabilizing. Huge difference to any blanks that are soft or some that are just special like the BE. Also Steve sells some of his own wood blanks that he stabilizes that is really nice to.

Wayne

low_48

That is really nice Bruce!!!!!!!!! I didn't go to the sale, heck what would I do with more wood, maybe my mistake though. Maybe we should get together and have a little skew lesson? Have you tried an oval skew? I bought the 3/4" Sorby and haven't looked back. Don't ask me to turn beads with it yet, but I'm a race horse now on the cylinders. It makes turning this stuff a dream.

Rich

Travlr7

Thanks all for your comments.

I delivered the pen last night and she was happy with it.

Rich, Believe it or not, I used a skew on this one and the maple I just posted. Even rubbin' the bevel (I make mine flat, too) didn't seem to help. I also have an oval skew, but I changed it into a scraper. I can change it back and would appreciate the help of your experience.

Thanks Wayne, when I start selling more pens, I will need a source for some stabilized materials.

Bruce[;)]

low_48

Bruce,
Another thing I've found on some woods is that the direction of cut can also make a difference. A bit like pushing a hand plane. The grain may be heading out at quite an angle. Cutting in the direction that the grain runs out may give a better cut.

Rich

Travlr7

Thanks Rick,

I know what you mean ........Going left to right the wood fuzzes and chips out, but right to left, it cuts like butter. The problem here and on the Spalted maple, the grain was swirling, so neither way was smooth. Maybe, with some hands-on in your presence, you can see what I need to do to improve.

The first step is to get my new Woodcraft Grinder (oops, I'm not supposed to know it's going to be under the tree) and my new Wolverine grinding jig set up and start getting a consistant edge on the tools will help. too. Free hand ain't too bad, but this will make it better and repeatable.

Bruce[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom