Box of Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

After seeing Serge and Curtis boxes, I decided I needed to try one. I still need to fix the holes that I drilled for the hinges as I went all the way through. I don't know how to put the catch on because I can't get the tiny nails to go into the oak without bending. I'll have to find small screws. I used red spray on DonJer Suede-Tex for the pens to set on.

200782215516_DSC00718.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Steve, nice looking box.
If you've got a hand-drill and a tiny bit, you can make pilots
for the hasp pins and glue them in. I find that not drilling
pilots for brass is a recipe for disaster, especially in oak.
Gary

Tanner

Looks great Steve! I'll have to check out the plans for these boxes. Do you have to worry about the paint on the suede rubbing off?

IPD_Mrs

Steve, the other problem with the nails is they are probably solid brass not brass plated steel. The plated ones do not bend like the solid brass do. Here is a link to brass plated escution pins.
http://www.kennedyhardware.com/S-N1S-Escutcheon-Pins-p-17027.html
Another trick is to chuck part of a staple in your drill and start your tiny nail hole. Usually 1/16" bits are too large and there are a couple of Dremel bits that are smaller, but they are part of a set.

Mike

Stevej72

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions. I will follow up on them.
Tim, I've used the suede-tex on jewelry boxes and haven't seen or heard of a problem with it wearing off. The paint that you apply first is quite slow drying so I think the dry suede gets a good chance to sink into it and become quite secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom