Bowling Ball Pen - New Experience For Me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gagler

Gagler

I picked up a few bowling ball pens from Bruce here a week or two ago, and decided to spin one up to see what it wanted to become; here are two pictures of the results. be gentle on your critique as it is only my second try at turning one of these acrylic / cast / whatever you call it (how about non-wood?) pen blanks.

One of the important lessons I learned is to follow instructions - for a man, it is something I am trying to objectively apply each and everyday, but as we all know life is a struggle. Bruce was kind enough to send me written instructions on the best way to turn this type of blank - I promptly skipped right over that part and went to the "how to finish the blank" section instead.

My mistake.

Bruce said to use the skew and take light, gentle cuts. Seeing as how I didn't read the directions, I whipped out the gouge to take that big 'ole blank down to the slimline kit I was going to put it on.

Did I mention it was a mistake not to follow instructions? Bowling ball parts were flying everywhere, that stringy white crap (stuff) flew all over: my hair, the back wall, my bandsaw, the shelf, the fan about 10 feet away, down through my shirt and into my underwear, etc.

But I am not here to talk about my underwear (I suspect that is another bulleting board site).

Since I got aggressive on with the gouge, I immediately turned a HUGE divot in the top portion of the blank. Nothing like working on your reconstructive skills at the lathe on a Tueday night post-Tropical Storm Eduardo, as I didn't think the tried-and-true wood method of grabbing some shavings and applying generous amounts of CA glue would benefit the blank. That's why the top part is kind of straight in contrast to the curved portion of the bottom.

My photography sucks (some will argue my lathe skills do, too), but I am quite pleased with the bowling ball blank. It's as smooth as can be, and has a real shine in good lighting. Needless to say, I think I like these casting blanks, and I have been impressed with many of the pens I have seen turned here with it - it seems like you're only limited by your imagination in casting. If you haven't tried one of Bruce's bowling ball blanks yet, go grab a few - you sure won't find that at your local Rockler or Woodcraft!

Anyone see the article in the papers several months ago about the guy who turned a blank cast from cow manure?

Thanks for listening-

Michael

Attachments

• Bowling Ball 1a.JPG
    Bowling Ball 1a.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Bowling Ball 1b.JPG
    Bowling Ball 1b.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSallee

Nice pen Michael... yea, acrylic is a little different than wood when turning... I also found that out the hard way... :eek:

Thanks for the heads-up Michael as I ONLY have a gouge to turn with (it's all I have been using with ALL my pens... LOL) I'll be sure to take VERY light cuts when I turn mine.... I'm still trying to decide which kit to make mine out of... :rolleyes:

Dave

bruce119

Well I am real glad to see one of these posted. The first time working with polyester resin is an experience. The biggest and best advise anyone would give you is before you even put it on the lathe (Any acyclic type blank) is sand it round. Knock off the corners on a sander then put it on the lathe. You'll save a lot of grief. Any acyclic type blanks catches can fracture a chunk out. That why you want to round them first you want them long pesky ribbons there good that means your doing it rite.

Looks like they turned out nice. Did you paint the inside white you can change the look by painting the inside different colors. These and a lot of other acrylics are transparent.

Good Job :highfive:
Bruce

Top Bottom