Bowling Ball Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was working on this pen a short while ago and finally took some time to make a picture of it. The pen kit is an El Grande fountain pen purchased at Lee Valley. The blank is a crimson red bowling ball also from Lee Valley. I turned it as a solid end pen, using a pen mandrel from William Woodwrite.

IMG_8639.jpg

I think this looks nice with the solid end, the red does not show on the end grain though, I think the material is laid down horizontally and only shows the colour on the long axis of the blank.

I encountered the usual pin holes that BB’s are notorious for, they are safe on the other side of the picture.:D

IMG_8642.jpg

The finish is a wet sanded micro process down to 12,000 micro mesh and a final plastic polish.

All critiques are welcomed[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgray

Great job, Jim!

How is the nib? Nice and smooth? I have lots of experience with large Craft Supplies nibs, but not a lot with larger Arizona Silhouette nibs, which I assume is where this one comes from.

Thanks.

Originally posted by bgray43050
<br />Great job, Jim!

How is the nib? Nice and smooth? I have lots of experience with large Craft Supplies nibs, but not a lot with larger Arizona Silhouette nibs, which I assume is where this one comes from.

Thanks.

Hi Brian,

It's an okay nib, nothing special really sort of like the Ligero CS nibs, nothing like Anthony's 14k gold ones.... It's a Berea kit sold by Lee Valley.

Originally posted by johncrane
<br />Jim!!
great work as always l like the shape/finish also Jim does this pen kit have a ink pump.[:D]

Hi John,

yes it did come with an ink pump, a nice feature.

I am not sure if I will turn any more BB, I fine the pin hole issue very frustrating and I may sell off the rest, I enjoy turning other materials more than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom