Bow on a upgraded ultra cigar kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wolfdancer

Wolfdancer

Banned
Hey folks well this is the first pen in along time it was kind of theraputic. It a piece of the holy land olive wood from Nolan I got a long time ago. I put this on an upgraded gold ultra cigar pen kit. All coments are welcomed.

I was able to get to see my kids and put one of my lathes there and made this today.

Attachments

• 100_5773.jpg
    100_5773.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_5775.jpg
    100_5775.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_5776.jpg
    100_5776.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmanship

WOW ~ The only thing nicer than the figure on your "Rosewood Burl" is "BOW" Fantastic looking pen ~ great way to show off a great piece of wood.

Cheers,
Tim

robutacion

Definitely, a beautiful piece of Olive Wood, if I haven't been told where it come from I could swear, was "one" of many of my Majestic A1++ blanks!:eek:

There is nothing that can compare (to me, anyway...!) to a nicely turned piece of top class Olive wood from the true Olive wood species, regardless where they grow, unfortunately when one is confronted with an exceptional blank of this wood, sometimes some of the best grain features are lost into shavings, as no one can predict how deep or how far/where those dark veins run to.

The cutting method of the blank can safe a lot of figure but, there is not possible not to lose some in the turning process, and sometimes, almost all if not all of the good stuff is gone, turning and exceptional blank into something not so!:mad: I've been on this road many times turning all types of things with my Olive wood but I get upset still every time it happens, and I have plenty to work with, just imagine how I would feel if I didn't have that rare life treasures...!:redface:

Just on the issue of preserving some of the best grains (features) I come across, mainly with the Olive wood, I got into the habit of sacrificing a little portion of the log/block/blank, by cutting a slice (normally the full size of whatever I'm cutting) about 0.5" thick of those unique/rare gems...!, sometimes that 0.5" is all that log/blank had to give so, the rest has lost its value but, I always catch up with other logs/pieces where I can take my 0.5" and still have plenty left.

Most times, as soon as the block of wood start to be "chopped" out into small pieces like pen blanks, the original figure (design/pattern) is lost, reason why I appreciate to have those slices with the full pattern/figure on it! Oh well, one of my things...!:biggrin:

There wouldn't be a need to say how much I like the above pen by now just form the wood used but, this one have the extra bonus of been put on a Cigar kit that I'm not familiar with so, Mr Wolfdancer what is really, this "ultra Cigar kit" ??? and where are you getting them from, if I may...!:wink:

I do apologize for my "confession" but, you gave me the perfect example to work with!:embarrassed:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Wolfdancer

Banned
Hello George
The kits came from BEAR TOOTH WOODS they are the Ultra Cigar Pen Kits. I got them about two years ago on a group buy.

Yes the wood did come from Nolan on one of his burlwood olive sales a year ago or so. Nolan has some really killer wood blanks. I wish I could afford more like this. One day Nolan I will get more things will turn around for me sir.

Thanks to both of you and all others.

Nolan

When your ready to give it another go let me know and maybe we can work out a deal where you can just buy direct from me and cut out the middle guy. I have another shipment of HRB and others just getting to the states so I will have stock for awhile.

Hello George
The kits came from BEAR TOOTH WOODS they are the Ultra Cigar Pen Kits. I got them about two years ago on a group buy.

Yes the wood did come from Nolan on one of his burlwood olive sales a year ago or so. Nolan has some really killer wood blanks. I wish I could afford more like this. One day Nolan I will get more things will turn around for me sir.

Thanks to both of you and all others.

Bree

Great wood, great finish, great kit, great craftsmanship. This pen has it all.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SamThePenMan

Wow awesome. The ultra cigar kit is nice, but this one makes it the kit look excelent. I've always wanted to make one but haven't done any pen turning in a while.

Top Bottom