BOW Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

in gold TN, Mylands FP. I don't usually put a finish on oily woods because I like how they end up looking when the oils in the user's hands add to the mix (and so do most of my customers). The Mylands just gives it a little extra time.

200682811339_sierraTG_BOW.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Billy,

I have never been able to sell one-piece pens. But, man, if that doesn't look GREAT, nothing does.

NICE!!!

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! This was my first time turning BOW and I have to say, I LOVE it! I've turned other olives, but... sorry, but most of them just don't compare. I've some of this for awhile now, but just couldn't figure out what to do with it.

angboy

So out of curiosity, what kind of changes does the pen make based on those oils? Is it really noticeable and varied by person? I don't suppose by chance you have a before and after picture do you? I'm not even being smart-aleky (sp?) in asking this- I really want to know. I've seen people refer to this before and just never really knew how much the pen might change. Maybe since we have this picture now, you could carry this same pen around in your hands for the next 2 months or so and then report back? (OK, now I'm being a smart-alek)[}:)][}:)]

alamocdc

Actually, Angela, it does depend on individual body chemistry to a fair degree, but I've only know one person with an acidic enough chemistry to have a negative effect. Sirry, kiddo, but no before-after pics. The changes can really be subtle. For example, my youngest son turned a pen for me about 8 years ago (spalted Pecan). Pecan isn't as oily as the other oily woods, but it's more oily than Walnut. His school only used a carnuba stick for finish. I have no idea when the wax wore off and my body oils took over. The pen looks almost exactly the same today as it did when he gave it to me. The wax/body oil only finish can also look quite nice on dense woods like Cherry, etc. However, I've seen one that I'd like to take back and refinish. It looks horrible (to me), but the customer loves it and is thrilled. Two guys ordered pens from the same Cherry and both wanted only a light wax finish because they didn't want to mask the natural look of the Cherry in any way. Both are daily users and one has turned nicely and reddened up like Cherry will. The other has actually greyed somewhat and doesn't look like I even sanded it. Apparently his hands sweat quite a bit and this played havoc on the grain. I've begged him to let me refinish (or even return) the pen, but he won't hear of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom