BOW & Marble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laspringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

laspringer

This is a streamline kit with BOW and marble. I used BOW at the nib to keep the marble from cracking.

200621821535_Marble_BOW.jpg

Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Interesting idea but it just doesn't work for me. Too much color contrast between wood and marble. Perhaps PI or redheart or even bloodwood would smooth the transition. Looks like you did a great job in turning the marble and the glue joint looks good, it is just choice of wood (for me).

woodpens

Your workmanship is good, but I have to agree with Bill that the combination of materials is not smooth. I think the pens would look great with just the marble or just the BOW. To avoid the tip cracking problem, consider reaming out the inside of the tubes with a round file. Rough them up until you can push the nib in by hand, and glue it in place. I have had to use this technique with snakewood, ebony and ivory. This is meant as constructive criticism, as I hope it will be taken. [:)]

Thumbs

Alan, how you design your pens is up to you and your personal tastes, I don't care. If it suits you, then that's all that counts! Thank you for sharing. Is this real marble? I'd be really interested in how you worked it.

Hastur

I like the marble by itself and I like the BOW by itself. I also like the pen shape and kit, it works for either end of the pen, but the mix of materials is a little off for me. I am curious how you worked the marble.

laspringer

I agree with everybody about the combination, but that is what the customer wanted. The marble is from the hospital were he was born. As far as working the marble, most of the work for shaping was done on my radial arm saw. Getting the marble thin enough for a soothe transition from the nib is tough, that is why I went with wood. Tru stone or acrylic were the other options I gave him. I did use a file on the clip side and glue it in, the marble is a little thicker at that end.

Thanks for looking Alan

BigRob777

Alan,
Hey, if that's what they want, you did well in giving it to them. I am amazed that you could do the marble. What did you turn it with? A friend gave me some home brew PR that looks pretty good, so I guess I'll be experimenting with that soon. Some day, I may work my way up to stone. I was looking for something to make CBs with, but didn't find anything. I probably would have destroyed my carbide tools with it anyway.
BTW, I love the marble pen part. I hope your customer doesn't drop it.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom