BOW with Cross inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RonSchmitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonSchmitt

This is a blank I got from Eagle a looooong time ago. Finally got up the courage to turn it. It is BOW with a Bloodwood and Holly inlay.
Comments and/or criticism on the pen AND the photography are more than welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

For photographing pens, turn it so that it is almost horizontal. At the close distances needed for shooting pens, the depth of field is extremely shallow. Having it almost horizontal puts all parts of the pen about the same distance from the sensor. It also eliminates a lot of the distortion you can get when shooting them the way you did, like the lower barrel looking bigger than the upper barrel. The entire picture looks a hair out of focus to me.

That said, it's a great blank, but it looks like the wood is under-sized at the clip ring. This could be due to distortion because of the angle of the pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When Eagle sends them to you, they are turned round, just not to size and not "tubed". So, unless you visit Eagle's shop, you won't see one that is "not turned".

Sorry[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

GaryMGg

Ed,
I bought 6 of 'em; they're all square (3/4" X 3/4" by N, MOL).
I drill 'em myself.
Richard, they look like they look in the pen pics, only they're still flat.
What are you trying to figure out? [}:)] [:eek:)][:D]

Rmartin

Not so much trying to figure anything out, just curious. Sometimes an insert can look very different before it's turned. Say for instance, in the photo above, does the insert go all the way through? Is there a cross on both sides? It has an oval shape in the picture. I'm wondering if that's because of shape due to turning, or is the insert oval to begin with?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The "insert" does NOT go through. The cross is oval from top to bottom when you start. The side-to-side dimension depends on the diameter of the kit you choose and it will appear more oval, the smaller the diameter.

This makes sense when you realize it conforms to the size of the pen (DUH)!!!

None of Eagle's newer blanks (last 18 months or so, if I recall correctly) go THROUGH the blank. He graduated beyond scrollsaw cuts some time ago. The pattern is parallel throughout the blank. Even the very intricate patterns that cross MANY times, are parallel, not THROUGHcut.

It's really quite a process!![:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom