BOW / Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeithrussell

jkeithrussell

Here are a few quickie desk-top photos of my latest. It's BOW with an insert made of Redheart. A lot of folks use Bloodwood for the religious themed pens, but I like working with Redheart better. This is a simple laser cut project.

Attachments

• ry=400[1].jpg
    ry=400[1].jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 157
  • ry=400[1] (2).jpg
    ry=400[1] (2).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 175
  • ry=400[2].jpg
    ry=400[2].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 121
  • ry=400[3].jpg
    ry=400[3].jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ttpenman

Great looking pen. You say "simple laser cut" For those of us who are really 'simple' can you briefly explain the procedure for laser cutting a cross on a pen like this?

Been away from penmaking for a year. Trying hard to get back in it.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

jkeithrussell

Great looking pen. You say "simple laser cut" For those of us who are really 'simple' can you briefly explain the procedure for laser cutting a cross on a pen like this?

Been away from penmaking for a year. Trying hard to get back in it.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

You take 2 blanks -- one for the main barrel, and one in contrasting material for the insert -- and round them over to 5/8". Put them in a collet chuck and drill out the hole for the size of tube you'll be using. Mark where you want the cross (or whatever) cut, and send or deliver them to a laser engraver. It costs about $5 per cut. When you get them back, just insert your tube and glue the cross made from the contrasting material into the matching hole in the main barrel, turn to final shape, sand, and finish. You can PM me for more details if that explanation doesn't make sense. You really need to be set up to drill using a collet chuck for these to work.

ttpenman

Thanks for the explanation. 2 quick questions:

does the engraver use a rotary attachment? (I assume he does)

how do you get the black line around the cross?

Jeff

chance

Correct me if I am wrong but from my trials with celtic crosses, the black line is just the CA inside the space between the two materials. Very nice pen BTW!

jkeithrussell

Thanks for the explanation. 2 quick questions:

does the engraver use a rotary attachment? (I assume he does)

how do you get the black line around the cross?

Jeff

The black line is either from the burnt sides of the cross inlay or from the CA -- I'm not sure which. I use the same method to make Texas flag pens and they always have a thin black line as well.

I don't know anything about the equipment that the engraver uses.

Top Bottom