BOW Cigar Trio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RonRaymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonRaymond

Here's my first photo post. Having turned a grand total of 4 slimlines and a cigar, I found myself with a special purpose for penturning. My son's Cub Scout Den crossed over to Boy Scouts last Friday and I wanted to do something special for my fellow Den Leaders. We took our Scouts to WC for a penturning class back in November, and everyone thought it was one of the best activities we've done. My son and I had such a good time, that's why we got a lathe and started turning at home. I presented the Leaders with these BOW cigar pens as a token of appreciation for all their hard work over the last few years, and as a remembrance of one of our favorite activities. Sanded through 400 with an amatuerish attempt at Russ's CA/BLO finish. Pen critiques/suggestions are welcome and appreciated...no need to tell me my photography stinks!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Great looking pens. I'm sure the DL's will like them.
Scouting is a great way to get quality time with your son. Do everything you can to encourage him to stay in and get his Eagle. I was in Scouts with my son for 13 years, from Tigers all the way through his first year as an Assistant Scoutmaster with the troop after he turned 18. When he joined the Coast Guard about 2 years ago, he entered at 2 grades above starting because of his Eagle.

Tanner

Nice pens!!! Good job in getting the Scouts involved. It's nice to see you have your son involved in this exciting endeavor. My journey to become an Eagle Scout has helped me immensely in life. Not only military, but also in business. Tell your son to stick with it and the rewards will follow.

beathard

Giving leaders a pen might sound like a small gesture. I gave pens to some of the leaders in my troops and it was one of the hooks that made them step up. Most of them are now running their own scout programs and giving awards to their leaders. Some have actually asked me to make pens for this purpose. One really neat thing to do is turn a pen from wood cut during an eagle project. Present the pen the the new eagle scout at their court of honor. It will be a highlight of his life...

broitblat

Nice looking pens and I see nothing to be upset about from the photo. One thing I wonder, though -- most CA finishes I've seen are a lot more shiny. Did you intentionally avoid a shiny finish or is it just not showing in the photo?

-Barry

RonRaymond

Thanks for the kind words, and y'all don't have to worry about my son dropping out of Scouts. I've already told him HE has to stay in until he's old enough for ME to go to Florida Seabase![:D]

Barry, thanks for asking about the CA finish...I've been wondering about it too. I'm so new, the only thing I'm intentionally doing is trying not to lose any fingers. The first cigar pen I did came out much shinier like you describe. It was a maple blank that Rich sent me for Christmas Newbie Help. Not bragging, but the finish looks like it's really deep and the pen absolutely shimmers in the light. My workmanship is a bit lacking in quality, but the finish is stunning...again, not bragging...I obviously had some beginner's luck. I thought it was just the difference in the woods. I can't for the life of me think of anything I did differently on these BOW pens. Same bottle of CA, same can of BLO...I think it was even the same roll of paper towels.

Any thoughts, anyone?

jedgerton

Those are some great looking pens and they make very memorable gifts. I'm an assistant scoutmaster and an eagle advisor (among other roles). I presented my eagle candidate with a European style pen made of cocobolo when he passed his eagle board of review. I also have a pen making demo scheduled for the troop.

I really enjoy being involved in a hobby where almost everyone likes the product that is made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom