BOW/Bloodwood Platinum Pen with a Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

Glad to have a day off to turn!! Oh, what fun!! About a week ago I prayed for a new design for a pen---an answer came in the middle of the night---and the results are posted here---a BOW/Bloodwood 2 layer pen with a Cross routed out with a rasp. This piece of BOW is fairly plain on one side---but, WOW---beautiful grain on the backside---but, to me the important side is the one with the Cross. I dedicate this pen to Ghasan and Diane. I may send this pen to Provo---but, I want Ghasan and Diane to have one like this---so, will make them one. I used a Bloodwood centerband, but may try a BOW one too---appreciate your thoughts and comments!!

200542922020_PlatinumPen%20007.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

The first thought that came to mind was "BEAUTIFULL" It will take me many, many years before I can do anything like that.

Anyone who gets a pen like this will know that a very gifted craftsman made it.

GREAT JOB.

Jim

PenWorks

I am in AWE of yet another McMillan original [;)]
Tom you are one of the few talented folks that can take
a slim line pen kit and turn it into one of the wonders of the world.
No S**T, really mean that. [:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Looks like a winner in the 7mm catagory to me...
I would really love to see one done in a DT Euro or Cigar style... man would that really set off the wood and cross... you did a fantastic job... NOW TELL US HOW!!!! [:p][:p]

Tom McMillan

Thanks everyone!! Making a 2 layer pen, is really like making 2 or more pens. I don't mind sharing---since I appreciate so much what I've learned here and at Yahoo from all of you---and I believe I was given this design to share with others. Turn down the first layer of wood to an even dimension over the bushings or, actually to about 13/32". Then drill your top blanks with a 13/32" drill and glue over the first blanks. Then I turn the blanks down to a farily even dimension again. Now, I lay out my work---I mark 4mm from the ends on all but the tip and mark 7 or 8mm there and part off just to the lower wood. Then I lay out the Cross--I did this on the lathe and made sure it was square---first I made a pencil mark with the lathe running for the Cross arm of the Cross and made a line lengthwise square to it. I use a rasp (small bastard file)---it's about 1/8" but is tapered. I angle in a little bit as I rasp and cut into the Olivewood a little which I think made nice accents too. This takes some time---but, will probably get quicker as one gets more proficient. Then I finish turn the basic pen---and angle the bloodwood down to the bushings. I sand the Cross with rolled up sandpaper and round it over a little on the edges---I sanded the cross and pen to 12000mm. Then I used sanding sealer and 3 coats of thin CA to finish --- sanded a little and used EEE. Feel free to ask for clarification or more info. I will be sending this pen to Provo for the contest.

rtgleck

Tom I opened up this thread and my jaw just dropped. I said wow outloud and had to show everyone around me this beautiful pen. You did a wonderful job on it and turned out one exceptionaly wonderful pen. Very nice work and a wonderful rightup to follow. Thanks for sharing.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Question: Were both woods vacuum stabilized by any chance? I love this pen design, but I am wondering about problems down the road with the different wood characteristics interacting with humidity and temperature changes - and causing cracks.

I am not critiquing this pen at all. For something this beautiful, I would want it to be around for the long haul. I am in the ministry and certainly plan on making one, or two or more.

Tom McMillan

No, neither wood is stabilized. I've made a number of 2 layer wood pens (mostly spirals). The one for the IAP contest was made last summer of Bloodwood with Ebony on top and there's no hint of cracking (both woods were very dry when made). I have no experience with 2 layer pens with BOW---(I know the Bloodwood's dry) so can't tell you if it might crack---I know a number have had problems with BOW cracking. At this point I haven't had any crack. I do try to be sure the wood is dry before I use it.

But, what you say about stabilized wood does make sense to me---especially for these pens. In the future instead of Ebony I do plan on using Black Steelwood---but, for now I'll likely continue with the regular BOW---until I do experience some problems with cracking. I do let the wood sit for a day or two after I drill it out.

I'll likely make quite a few of these for Pastors and other friends in the Ministry---and may sell some too.

Look forward to your results when you complete one. Thanks for your interest in this pen.

Oh, and glad you like the pen Anthony!!!![:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom