BOW and Bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I took my first stab at BOW a few months ago and was NOT happy (see http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7193&SearchTerms=BOW ). My intent was to give it to my aunt as a present, but since I wasn't happy, I had to figure out what to do with it. I decided what the heck, I'll see how it looks with a bloodwood inlay. I tried cutting the bloodwood myself, and soon realized that it was going to be harder than I thought. So, I contacted Mike and Jen Amison (http://www.writenthings.com/) and asked them if they could laser cut both the bloodwood and the BOW to fit. They did a HECK of a job! There are two crosses about 120 degrees apart (hence the pics of both sides of the pen). I glued them into place using the same watered down yellow glue that Ken Nelson recommends for some of his kits, and that seems to have been a good choice. CA/BLO finish for posterity (hopefully).

BOW%20and%20Bloodwood%202.jpg

BOW%20and%20Bloodwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jenamison

Hey William...thanks man that's not a bad idea!!![:D][:D]

Jim that turned out really nice. Hope it was up to your expectations and hope your liking it. Thanks again for putting your trust in me. Mike

JimGo

My pleasure Mike! I really appreciate your assistance in turning what was otherwise a rather bland pen into something really special for my Aunt. Thanks!

CPDesigns

Just curious, but you said that was BOW? or did I miss something? That looks almost like cherry to me. I just haven't seen BOW without the highly figured dark and light bands. I like the inlay BTW.[:)]

mick

Very nice Jim, love the use of Bloodwood as accent! I use it every chance I get! I still can't believe thats Olivewood though!

JimGo

Jason, no, it wasn't a typo. I got this blank as a "freebie" from Bill Baumbeck; it was clearly marked, and even came with the certificate and sticker that BOW provides. It looked nice before I started turning it, but the end result was less than impressive.

Thanks for the kind comments Jason and Mick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom