Botanical /Resin Gatsby x 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Parrain

Parrain

Presenting for your comments and critiques are my first attempts at casting/ turning resin/ ca finish. Both pens are Gatsby. The chrome/black is alumilite clear and Casuarina seed pods. The gun metal/chrome is alumilite clear and Twistie seed pods (If anybody knows what plant that comes from, please do tell). The resin was colored with mica powder and both were finished with blo and ca. Your c & c are appreciated!
f6fb31b7c82488cbd195988747dab858.jpg
9699c963af559c32a763153771c8ca1c.jpg
434c4c5df29f3bda9c2db9de847ca5a7.jpg
9b06d237986d8153029b5675ae03c841.jpg
536941b9af382870ed9f43fa388aef5d.jpg
de6112ddbccd87148212a5957e5ff032.jpg
9d6bcaae7d5d7f9eaa243e1c5ad7c5b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

I think that Casuarina seed pods is nothing else but sheoak pods... I might be mistaken.
Those Twisted seed pods came out very interesting... wondering what it is.

JohnU

Those twist pods in the first pen offer something different. I would cut them in 1/2" lengths and glue around a black painted tube, facing out, interlocking the points to cover as much surface as possible, then cast clear.

Those are a great first casting, those twisted pods are really neat.

I might suggest not using the BLO when doing CA or resin/acrylic. It might help to reduce the radial lumps that i assume are from CA application, or try more coast and heavier sanding in both directions.

Parrain

Those are a great first casting, those twisted pods are really neat.

I might suggest not using the BLO when doing CA or resin/acrylic. It might help to reduce the radial lumps that i assume are from CA application, or try more coast and heavier sanding in both directions.

Thanks! It didn't even cross my mind that the BLO would have contributed to the bad CA finish. I really just thought it was either to heavy of an application or that I was too aggressive in my sanding.

Parrain

I think that Casuarina seed pods is nothing else but sheoak pods... I might be mistaken.
Those Twisted seed pods came out very interesting... wondering what it is.

You aren't mistaken. I bought the because they looked "interesting", but of course the package wasn't labeled. I spend maybe an hour trying to identify them. In my research, it did list Sheoak and She Oak as alternate names for the Casuarina tree. Everywhere I find the "Twistie" pods just refers to them as Twistie. I would love to know where they come from though.

Parrain

Those twist pods in the first pen offer something different. I would cut them in 1/2" lengths and glue around a black painted tube, facing out, interlocking the points to cover as much surface as possible, then cast clear.

That one is growing on me. It was hell to turn though. I ended up getting a couple decent sized voids due to casting in a tube. I think I'm going to try a flat mold next to see if I can get better coverage for both. Glued to the tube and facing out would give an almost starry look though... hmmmm.

magpens

I really like your work !!!!! . Would like it even better if the resin were a deeper color.

Love those twistie seed pods ... wish I knew what they are.

Parrain

I really like your work !!!!! . Would like it even better if the resin were a deeper color.

Love those twistie seed pods ... wish I knew what they are.

Thank you! That means a lot coming from you. I really didn't like the twisty pen when I turned it. Probably due to the frustration that it caused me. But it's growing on me. One of the good parts (IMO) is that I didn't paint the tubes. So the brass kind of colors the blue green and makes it almost glow (or maybe I just inhaled too much ca). But you are right, It was my intention to color the resin much darker. It lightened quite a bit while under pressure.

Top Bottom