Borrowing from Lou

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I am naming my Emperors. This one is the Emperor Mairari, emperor of Ethiopia from 1247-1262. This was by request from a repeat customer and my first Emperor sale. She wanted an Emperor RB in black, wood if possible. Her eyes lit up and she got quite excited when I mentioned African Blackwood, hence the naming of this pen. Dipped lacquer finish... as all my high end pens are. The only thing I'm not happy about is that I didn't ask anough for it.

200642023055_empBTrb_blackwood.jpg

No comments are necessary, but all, including criticisms are welcome. Thanks for taking time to look. I just couldn't help showing this one off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Excellent choice of kits with the wood, and fantastic job on both the fit and the finish. Looks like you even nailed getting the barrels dead straight, which is something I'm struggling with so I'm jealous!

PenWorks

[:0] Wonderfull Pen [:0]

Okay I am nosey [:D] What's not enough [?] I sold an Emperor resin roller today for $150.00, she also bought two other pens as well, I thought it was a very nice piece. I would have like to charge more as well, but I thought that was a fair price and it is what I price my Emperor rollers.

alamocdc

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. Anthony, using my standard algorithm, I came up with $120, so that's what I quoted her. If they're bringing more, I may have to go up.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Excellent work, Billy.

I would say $120 is low, but that (my $175 starting, up to $250) may be why I have NEVER SOLD ONE. So, feel free to ignore me!!!!!

nilsatcraft

This one caught my eye right away and I had to comment. This is really one of the sharpest looking pens I've seen. The wood looks great and seems to have a bit of a maroon tint to it and the finish is amazing. I just copied Fred's tutorial for my own use. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing the pen and the finishing information. This only reaffirms my appreciation of lacquer finishes.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Billy,
That's a great looking pen! Do you thin the lacquer before dipping? I have read that some do.

Thanks
Jerry

Thanks again, all!

Jerry, I have been dipping it straight from the can, but have been thinking about thinning it using a 3:1 ratio (lacquer:thinner). I think I've read that some thin it 1:1, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. However, parts of this one dried with a bit of a "run" because I had it sitting close to the space heater in my shop... Yes, it is still cool enough here at night that I need to leave it on. Buffed the small runs out easily enough with 4000MM, but the thinning may help aleviate the need for that.

alamocdc

Originally posted by jeff
<br />
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Sorry, Jeff, but I still haven't figured out how to use the small URL feature we have.
Look HERE for the instructions on how to create links in posts.

BION, Jeff, I actually tried doing just that, but it didn't work in the preview. Being an old web master I figured I knew enough to be able to figure it out, but I was wrong (imagine that). After looking at yours and the post you made for doing this, I know now what the problem was so a big THANKS for straightening this out!

Max

Wow!! That is sooo nice!!

What type of lacquer are you using?
Was it just one coat?

Thanks,
Max

lwalden

Timing- were the two seperate dips back to back, or was there some longer time interval between dips? BTW, fantastic looking pen- I've already printed off Russ's original instructions to try this weekend.

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Max, I use Deft Gloss and this pen was dipped twice and rotated 180 degrees between dippings to ensure an even flow.

reed43

Billy I thin 3to1 and workes for me.I have been using deft for about two years and have had no returns for finish problems.Other problems yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom