Bolts and Levers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Here's some pens I made the other day. Nothing special, but I'm happy with them.

Attachments

• 20160329_111712 resize.jpg
    20160329_111712 resize.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 300
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Good looking set. Love both those kits.

My brother brought me some short antler pieces from a deer he'd killed and when I drilled them, they were too short to cover the whole tube. I put a quarter inch segment of dark wood on both ends and it really turned up nicely. Looks really sharp with the wood accents.

stuckinohio

Good looking set. Love both those kits.

My brother brought me some short antler pieces from a deer he'd killed and when I drilled them, they were too short to cover the whole tube. I put a quarter inch segment of dark wood on both ends and it really turned up nicely. Looks really sharp with the wood accents.
Did you post pictures? Curious to see how it looks.

SnazzyPenz

Very Nice!

These look great. i've been wanting to turn some antler pens myself. I just ordered some small antler blanks, so we'll see hoe it goes. Any tips?

stuckinohio

These look great. i've been wanting to turn some antler pens myself. I just ordered some small antler blanks, so we'll see hoe it goes. Any tips?

Number one hardest part for me to learn was drilling. I now drill the antler between centers on the lathe so I can see the travel of the drill bit.

Next is finishing. You have to soak the blank with CA once you get close to final diameter, if you get into marrow. Don't sand before you CA. It will get in marrow and cause it to look dirty.

stuckinohio

Oh, and wear a respirator. Apparently the dust sticks in your lungs. Other than that, enjoy. Antler turns well once it is roughed out.

Top Bottom