bolt/lever action and old gun stock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

I was given a few old rifle stocks by a gunsmith a few years back, 7mm mauser, M1 carbine and a few I am not sure what they were. They were left overs from when he re-barreled and re-stocked the actions.
Was thinking they would be nice to use for bolt and lever action pens for an order I received.
Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.
William

Attachments

• aarifle1.JPG
    aarifle1.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 243
  • aarifle2.JPG
    aarifle2.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 294
  • aarifle3.JPG
    aarifle3.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I make the same combination--the walnut from the rifle stock adds a nice air of authenticity. My preference is the antique pewter lever action, but your's look really nice as well.

MTViper

Beautiful job on the pens. Gun stock walnut is always great looking wood and really fits with the bullet theme for these kits. I'd love to get hold of an old gun stock.

I go back and forth between the brass and the nickel kits. I get mine from Bear Tooth Woods .

triw51

Hi where did you get the lever action pen kits from they look amazing if you could please let me know I would be most great full

Here's where I buy mine, but other vendors have them as well.

https://www.exoticblanks.com/Lever-Action-Ballpoint-Kit/

This is where I purchased mine from also. I really like shopping at exotic blanks the folks are very helpful. I have called when I had a problem with a kit and he walked me through what to do. They are my go to store.
PS The surprise is yummy to!

Last edited:

mecompco

Great job on these William! You can't go wrong with walnut.
Using the gun stocks adds to the provenance of the pens!

Edit: Did you use Tru Oil for the finish?

I always do on my gun-themed pens. I use a couple coats of BC's sanding filler, hit w/0000 steel wool after it's dried, then go to the Tru-Oil. A quick hit w/the 0000 and a final buff on the waxed wheel and it looks really nice. IDK how it will hold up in the long run, but real rifle stocks I've done that way are fine.

robutacion

I keep any eye out at the gun shows for broken or damaged gun stocks which usually run around $5-10.

Les

Some of those high-grade wood stocks can cost a couple of thousand dollars to buy, off course 2/3 of it is for actually making the rifle/shotgun stock but the raw blank can be of the very highest grade and very rare to find pieces of unless you know someone in Turkey where they produce the best Walnut in the world.

We actually did have such a person on IAP selling the Walnut quite regularly, I haven't seen it for awhile but, we would sell many blanks from the various grades cut originally as gun-stocks, the left overs from the blocks/boards the stocks are cut from, that is what he would salvage and share with everybody here, I endup getting some from him and I'm glad I did.

Knowing a gunsmith can be a good way to score these type of woods, particularly when quality stocks get broken, they are normally replaced and offer little to no use to the gunsmith that in most cases, will be happy to get it out of his workshop for a few beers...!:wink:

Cheers
George

triw51

OK to finish the story on the pens... A few weeks ago I received an email from a gentleman who saw one of my bolt action pens. Got my information and ordered 12 pens mixed bolt and lever actions. When I finished I sent him the pictures and an invoice. His reply was for me to send the pens and he would send me a check. I told him he needed to pay for the pens first via paypal. He said "Let me double check with my guys and make sure they still want one."
A few days later he changes his order to 3 pens and wants me to mail them and he will write me a check... (He is in MA and I am in AZ) I ask for payment up front again and am still waiting.
I guess he though I would send the pens and trust someone I have never met or done business with before. I am glad my mom did not raise a dummy!

Top Bottom