Bolt Action Pen with Antler/buffalo horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from K-9 Man

K-9 Man

Hello everyone,

Here are some pictures of a pen I made for a co worker. I used antler and then had to add buffalo horn since the antler didn't cover the entire blank.

My question to you is, is there a problem giving this pen to someone when it has a small crack. I got the best picture of the crack as I could. The blank cracked when I was pressing the top into the blank. I placed some CA glue in the crack and don't believe it will ever come off. I only charge the price of the kit and then they "donate" what they want towards my wood shop. Any thoughts?

Thanks, and any ideas on how to prevent the blank from cracking when pressing it together?

Ernie

Attachments

• DSCN8186.jpg
    DSCN8186.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 731
  • DSCN8181.jpg
    DSCN8181.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCN8222.jpg
    DSCN8222.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 322
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

If I'm ever uncomfortable with a pen I give it away for free.

However, my first antler pen cracked and I fixed it like you did. I kept it and haven't had any issues with it.

theidlemind

Might consider another try on the antler blank just to protect your reputation.
Word of mouth can lead to more people wanting your pens and then more toys for the shop. Only the best ones need to be in the public eye.
Turn that antler off and glue up another one and give it another go.
As far as it cracking, there may have been a little glue in the tube or you might have pressed it a little crooked.
Fit looks good though. And you can't go wrong with antler and bullets......

plantman

:knife: Ernie: I use a tapered reamer to clean out any glue in the tube and to put a little bevel on the inside edge of it. This will releave pressure, take off any burs from squareing, and make the fittings easy to insert straight into the tubes. Also by using a tapered reamer, one size fits all tubes. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom