Bois de Rose Sierra, my 10th pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I finally got my order for Bois de Rose in and here is a pic of my first pen with it. It is my 10th pen altogether. I scratched it up a bit, while trying to remove a pen mill burr, but otherwise, it isn't bad. I had a lot of trouble with my CA. I think it is going bad, as I had it out in freezing temps a few nights. It takes forever to dry outside and also a while indoors. I finally broke down and bought some thin CA from Woodcraft. It cost a small fortune. I also picked up some DEFT spray-on lacquer. Any ideas how to use it?

EDIT: This is also my first pen to be sold outright (not traded for yardwork). I price my sierras at $40.00, but give a $5.00 discount to people in my home church. I also sold its twin (that doesn't exist yet) to another person in the group. I also want to make a pen and pencil set for myself. I've got to make a pen out of this white oak that I use for the back ground.

Rob
BTW, Dan, it was very nice meeting you today.

2005128195726_DSCN1893-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

You had to go and post this one, huh, Rob? You'll see what i'm talking about when you read my PM. [:D] I like it. That's purty stuff right there, I don't care who you are! Concerning the spray lacquer, you simply point the nozzle toward the pen barrel and press down. [:p][}:)]

BigRob777

Billy,
I am so glad you cleared that spray matter up for me. I thought you use it like deoderant[:D].
How do you keep the spray from dripping? Do you take the blank off of the mandrel to spray it? And so on....I am clueless about spray finishes for pens.
Rob

alamocdc

Actually, Rob, I don't spray my lacquer, I dip. However, like anything else, I would suggest multiple light coats. It might be advisable to take if off the lathe, but you should be able to keep it on the mandrel. I don't know how everyone else does it, but if I was worried about over spray, I'd just tape off what I was worried about. Just a thought. Or you could use a piece of althread like I do for dipping and not worry about taping for over spray.

I have used spray (gave it up for wipe-on poly) and it is as Billy says, multiple light coats. I sprayed with the lathe running, others do not. Cover lathe w/ cloths, paper towels etc to protect from overspray. BTW, great looking pen.

Billy, down here when folks dip they usually need somewhere to spit. [:D] Except for those who swallow [xx(]

alamocdc

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />Billy, down here when folks dip they usually need somewhere to spit. [:D] Except for those who swallow [xx(]

Bill, I dip snuff. Have for 36 years now. Started with Copenhagen and switched to Skaol long cut to appease LOML about 10 years ago. [:D]

Spike

All i use is deft spray. Buy it at wal-mart. cheaper. What i do is take the blanks off the manderal and on a piece of brass tubing that is smaller than the inside of the tube on the pen. not to small though. there needs to be play. i put the rod verticaly in a scrap piece of 2x4 and made a mark on one side. i slide my blanks on the rod and in between the blanks i put fender washers. I spray a light coat roating 90 spray 90 and all a round untill i come back to by mark i have on the 2x4. then a second light coat in 30 min. then a bit thicker coat in another 30 min. for my final coat.This method works great for me you should never spray anything with deft if there is high humidity. I did once and it turned a milk color. I had to start over. . I do 4 pens at a time this way.also another good tip is to use a timer for the drying time and then go do something else, like turn more pens.

as for dripping, shake the can really really good and pratice alot. after awile you will know exatly how much to put on and no drips.

dfurlano

Hey Rob nice meeting you too. And thanks for all the information on the world of wood!

Now time to go make something.

BigRob777

Thanks guys,
I think I'll try Pastor Bill's method first. I guess it will take some trial and error. I almost bought some wipe on poly, but will try some sanding sealer too. It is really nice and glossy and thick.

Wow, I haven't even posted a special on Bois de Rose and it is selling like mad.
Rob

BigRob777

I added an edit onto the first post. This is my first pen to actually sell for $. I got $35.00 for it, after I discounted it (I announced a home church discount). I wasn't even trying to sell it. My home church leader was passing them around and wanted to buy one, but didn't tell me which one. This one sold, before he could tell me which he wanted, which was this one, so I am making another just like it. He wanted to give me $40.00 for it, but I talked him down to $35.00. I think our roles were reversed. Anyway, I made two sales tonight, without trying to make the first.
Rob[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

BigRob777

Jim,
Thanks. He is one of my home church leaders, kind of a pastor/laymen (lower case P). I think he was thinking that I needed the money. It is like me giving you an extra pen blank. Besides, he practically sold my first pen for me. He told the person, who bought it that they should buy them with their company name engraved on them. How do you charge someone like that full price? [;)][:D][;)]

Rob

M

Mudder

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />....... He wanted to give me $40.00 for it, but I talked him down to $35.00.....

[}:)] I'm taking a course on negotiation skills. That technique is not in the manual. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom