Bois de Rose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iMattDaddy

iMattDaddy

This one was a custom order, not an easy wood to find. Also turned out to be pretty brittle, but I was able to get a decent finished pen. Comments and criticism welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Looks super beautiful although the glare makes it hard to see. What kind of wood?

Oh duh. I just saw the title. Bois de Rose, huh?

Last edited:

iMattDaddy

Looks super beautiful although the glare makes it hard to see. What kind of wood?

Oh duh. I just saw the title. Bois de Rose, huh?

Thank you. Yeah I went a little overboard with the flash. I was too lazy to soften the light. I have a big strobe with an umbrella that I use, and I can turn it into a soft box but I didn't take the time to do it.

SteveG

I bought a small stick (about 1x2x18 inches) of that wood a while ago because the grain color just grabbed me and would not let go. That color is right there in your pen...beautiful. Unfortunately, I believe the color will darken with time, so let us hope it is a LONG time! Nice pen, and excellent material selected.

iMattDaddy

I bought a small stick (about 1x2x18 inches) of that wood a while ago because the grain color just grabbed me and would not let go. That color is right there in your pen...beautiful. Unfortunately, I believe the color will darken with time, so let us hope it is a LONG time! Nice pen, and excellent material selected.

Thanks all for the comments.

Yeah these blanks get pretty expensive really quick. The place I got them from limited orders to 3 blanks max, so I ended up with 3. Bigger blanks 1.5x1.5x18 was quite a bit more. I think 2x2x18 was near $75 or so? That's a lot to me when it comes to turning blanks.

The blanks were pretty dark and I expected that maybe it was just the outside and after I turned it down it may lighten, but it was dark through. I don't think it will continue to darken at this point but I don't know.

Top Bottom