Bog Yew-BB prize from KeithKarl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
First time I had SEEN bog yew. I've turned bog oak and enjoy it, but it is a very distinct grain, that can fight back and it's a bear to finish, without making it "plastic".

This bog Yew turned very easily and the finish is several (6-8) sessions of lacquer spray (5-6 thin sprays per session). Sanded with 600-1000 grit twice in the process. Final sanding followed by white diamond buff and wax.

Comments welcome. Sounds like Keith may be interested in selling some of this. It's NICE wood.

Attachments

• Bogyewnet.JPG
    Bogyewnet.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Man, i tell ya this stuff varies in colour so much, this is a pen turned by Colin Gregg, the first person I sent blanks to. Its much darker.

BTW: I was planning on donating a board of this for the Fundraiser BigRob is running if they reached over $400, would've been enough for 8 full sized blanks and 3-4 Sierra sized blanks. Hasn't been much activity there though.

Attachments

• bog yew baron.jpg
    bog yew baron.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, Louis!!

That's why I like using spray lacquer. It gives a good protective finish, but doesn't look TOO shiny.

IF you want the wood to be darker, I suspect a coat of BLO or two would accomplish that. I liked the way this looked. Still do.

TEHO (to each his own)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I forgot you turn wood blanks too ! Very nice work Ed . I used spray laquer on a Rosewood burl I sent to BigShed last year , and turned out well . Not as nice as this one , IMHO .

Top Bottom