Bog oak, schmog oak...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from panamag8or

panamag8or

I scored some wood from a tree that was 3,500 years old... and alive last year. The "Senator" was the oldest bald cypress in the world when it was set on fire last year, by some crackhead trying to see her dope. I was able to get a piece from the Seminole County Commission, complete with COA.

Yeah, it's a slimline, but I was in a hurry to turn anything, and I don't have the kits I want. I should be able to get another couple of slims and 4-5 full size pen blanks from the piece, plus a good bit for "worthless wood" blanks. I also cut some 3/8" disks that will become bases for shaving brushes.

The "eye" near the nib is the outer edge, with the darkest spot being bark. There is also another one of those features opposite the clip. The smaller dark spot above that is where a twig burned to the base, so I have charred evidence of the fire in the pen, too. I don't really like the waspy shape for slims, but I didn't want to lose the cool natural features. This pen was basically turned from a quarter-round of the limb.

8 coats of med CA, micromesh from 3200 up, Hut ultra gloss.

601934_241724885952630_827984396_n.jpg

Top Bottom