Bog Oak Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Philip_TOPS

Philip_TOPS

Hello Everyone. This is my first pen post. New to turning (only about a dozen pens so far most of which have been slimlines). This is one of my first big pens which I just finished this evening. The wood is Irish Bog Oak. Any comments / suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• MajPenPost.jpg
    MajPenPost.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

As the resident Bog Oak expert, very nice. I like that you didn't hide the texture of the wood.

If there is one thing I will suggest, work on getting the shape a little more balanced between the top and bottom (comes with practice).

1080Wayne

Philip

Best to stay away from high gloss finishes on bog oak . They totally hide the grain to the point where it can look like a piece of black plastic . I use a coat or two of thin CA but don`t go beyond 600 grit .

Wayne

kevrob

Nice kit and neat wood.

I recognize the type of kit, but where did you get it? Haven't seen that particular design before, but then again, I too am a newbie.

wiset1

Tim,

Just a little friction polish. No CA yet. Still working on that.

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion. I see your point.

Well, it loos AWESOME the way it is, no need for CA if the grain pops the way you have it here.:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Kevin, very nice. For just your 12th pen you took on a challenge in IBO (Irish Bog Oak) that some (myself included) have waited to do until they had more experience, I tip my hat to you for that. As Mike said work on your shape somewhat, that component set looks better turned barrel to barrel (in a stright line from top to bottom).

omb76

As Mike said work on your shape somewhat, that component set looks better turned barrel to barrel (in a stright line from top to bottom).

I think that a slight curve works well with the Majestic. Nothing too exaggerated though. I think the style of clip a pen kit contributes a lot to how the shape of a barrel will look. I think a straight clip (i.e. Emperor) looks best with a straight barrel, but one with a curve like the Majestic can go both ways. Just my opinion, and everyone has one.. LOL. I do think that the curve on the upper barrel is a little out of sync with the lower one though.

All in all, you should be commended for such a nice looking pen for just your 12th one, and a Majestic no less! :highfive:

Top Bottom