Bog Oak Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Øistein

Øistein

Hi all.

This Majestic Rollerball is dressed in 5000 to 6000 years old Bog Oak from the place where I grew up; Askoy Island near Bergen.

I participated in the 2009 International Pen Swap managed By Simomatra in Austalia. This pen went to him with some native Norwegian pen blanks, mostly from the place I lives; Austevoll.

Comments are welcome
________
Øistein

Attachments

• majestic myreik.jpg
    majestic myreik.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is a really nice looking pen. Bog Oak can be handled and finished many ways. Would you like to tell us more about YOUR finishing process???

The picture is a little dark to be able to distinquish the grain, etc. But it certainly looks handsome!

Russianwolf

Gary, I'll bring you some when I come to the region.

It can look a lot like ebony, but doesn't act like it. It's usually either White or Brown Oak that has been submerged in iron rich waters/peat. The Iron reacts with the tannin in the oak and turns it black with time. Some can be very hard on cutting tools, other bits act just like regular old oak. the pieces I've done still show the oak graining although it can be hard to show in a picture at times due to how black the pieces can be.

garypeck

Gary, I'll bring you some when I come to the region.

It can look a lot like ebony, but doesn't act like it. It's usually either White or Brown Oak that has been submerged in iron rich waters/peat. The Iron reacts with the tannin in the oak and turns it black with time. Some can be very hard on cutting tools, other bits act just like regular old oak. the pieces I've done still show the oak graining although it can be hard to show in a picture at times due to how black the pieces can be.

Hi Mike, thanks for the offer..... i actually do have a couple of these blanks from Travis..... its just that cause the timber is so old (5000-10000 years old), im quite reluctant to turn it......

I have not reached the point whereby all my pens come out the way i want it too..... furthermore, these are not blanks which are readily available over here.....Just trying to find out a bit more on the blank......

bitshird

Hi Mike, thanks for the offer..... i actually do have a couple of these blanks from Travis..... its just that cause the timber is so old (5000-10000 years old), im quite reluctant to turn it......

I have not reached the point whereby all my pens come out the way i want it too..... furthermore, these are not blanks which are readily available over here.....Just trying to find out a bit more on the blank......

Gary why don't you run a WTB (wanted to by) in classified's either in the individual or in the Trade section??

garypeck

Gary why don't you run a WTB (wanted to by) in classified's either in the individual or in the Trade section??

Hi Ken, i do have a couple of these blanks from Travis..... im just not willing to turn them yet as my turning skills are not up to par..... hahaha

Øistein

It is a really nice looking pen. Bog Oak can be handled and finished many ways. Would you like to tell us more about YOUR finishing process???

The picture is a little dark to be able to distinquish the grain, etc. But it certainly looks handsome!

The Bog Oak Majestic was sanded up to 12000 MicroMesh and given 4 layer of BLO/CA before it was polished with Carnouba wax.

Last edited:
Top Bottom