bog oak kicked my butt.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paintspill

paintspill

i don't like doing black pens. unfortunately if they turn out, they look amazing. thats why i seem to keep going back to them. this is a baron in bog oak. sanded back to bare wood three times and still ended up with specks in the final finish the fit was great and the ca is deep and oh so smooth. but like a black car, you see everything.

Attachments

• 100_2775 (640x480).jpg
    100_2775 (640x480).jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_2777 (640x480).jpg
    100_2777 (640x480).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_2778 (480x640).jpg
    100_2778 (480x640).jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_2779 (640x480).jpg
    100_2779 (640x480).jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

Very cool. Try putting some alcohol on a rag before finishing. It seems to clean the grain out for me and evaporates quickly and completely.

SDB777

Very cool. Try putting some alcohol on a rag before finishing. It seems to clean the grain out for me and evaporates quickly and completely.

Cool tip.

I see those few fleck under the finish. I feel for ya, working with black anything is a PITA. It's hard for me to even think about doing another-especially if I remember doing the last one, but sooner or later....I'll get talked into it again(as will you).

Scott

CharlesH

It's all about the accelerator for really dark pens. Make sure you use one in aerosol and you should have no problem with white marks.

C

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

paintspill

> charles, it was aerosol . this was just one of those blanks that didn't go my way. >danny, the wood turned fantastic. great stuff to turn. i think the bigger issue here was the deep grain in the oak. i had to build such a thick coat before i could start sanding and think i trapped a few air bubbles in the finish. i was also using a thicker ca and it was a little cold in the shop. i usually like my ca on the thinner side. but a fine looking pen none the less. i've done flawless black before but usually ebony.

but like all of us, i will do another one.

Russianwolf

> charles, it was aerosol . this was just one of those blanks that didn't go my way. >danny, the wood turned fantastic. great stuff to turn. i think the bigger issue here was the deep grain in the oak. i had to build such a thick coat before i could start sanding and think i trapped a few air bubbles in the finish. i was also using a thicker ca and it was a little cold in the shop. i usually like my ca on the thinner side. but a fine looking pen none the less. i've done flawless black before but usually ebony.

but like all of us, i will do another one.

This is why I don't like CA on Bog Oak. most people that I sell them too want it to feel more like wood, and feel the texture. Bog Oak will take an very good polish by itself (and the color hides dirt very well, I get to see one that I made back in '06 with just friction polish regularly and it looks better now than it did then, the plating on the kit is almost gone though) or I use lacquer, but the last thing I want to do is build the finish to the point that the surface is completely smooth.

Top Bottom